iPad for Photography- Client Meeting Emphasis...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by MattSepeta, Sep 13, 2010.

1. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

So, I have been without a laptop for about 8 months now. The battery crapped out and I gave the charger to my GF. I have certainly lived without it, between using my desktop computer for my photo/graphic work and my phone for anything on the fly.

This has left me with a gaping hole in my technology "lineup" though. I have been borrowing my GFs macbook to bring to client meetings, which is getting a bit old. I am thinking of getting the 32GB iPad to use primarily for this purpose, to keep a "Portfolio" on via the Photo management app as well as review online galleries. I figure I can get $200 - $300 for the dusty old laptop to offset the cost, so why not?

Do any of you guys do this?

My main concern is that I am just buying a new toy I will regret, but the way I look at it is

-I need something portable with a large screen to use for client meetings. Laptop is too much computer for this. The meetings generally consist of reviewing portfolio, showing recent galleries, and messing with google calendar and google docs. iPad can do all of this very well AFAIK.
    - Used the Laptop for travel, mainly watching movies on plane, unloading CF cards. iPad can do this. I will clearly need the stupid usb dongle thing, but it can do it. It also has a much better battery than my OLD macbook, which held about 3 hours at its peak a few years ago, and holds ZERO now.

Do any of you guys use an iPad for anything else in the photo world?

- I have heard talk of an EyeFi or something that wirelessly transmits shots to whatever it is plugged into. This would be awesome for using in conjunction with an iPad during photoshoots to check colors, exposure, review shots w/ clients, etc... Anyone use this? Is it expensive? I see it is only advertised as SD cards, are there adapters to use with CF cards?

Final question- how much would you pay for a MacBook running Snow Leopard with no battery or charger?

Thanks and good day.
    (PS I know this thread may seem like me trying to justify a new purchase, and it is. I am loathed to spend money on something I wont use or will regret buying)

EDIT: I have never really used an iPhone or an iPod touch or any other iOS thingies... And I use a Droid phone. Can a Droid and an iPad play nice? I mean, can I download a Google calendar App for the iPad? Can I use my google to-do lists on the iPad? Is there a thunderbird or Gmail app for iOS?

2. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

Can't just buy a replacement battery for the laptop? Would be the cheapest option methinks...

I don't think it works quite that way. The EyeFi is SD only, and although the hardware might be there in theory, the software to support "on-the-fly" downloading to an iPad for viewing does not exist, AFAIK.

3. Gold89 macrumors 6502

If client impressions are important the iPad has that little bit of wow factor and are a more natural way of sharing images than a laptop.

4. Matty-p macrumors regular

you don't need to download any apps . you can use the built in mail and calender app which is awesome and have that sync with your goggle account just follow these simple instructions to set it up

btw why not the 16 gb wifi ipad is that really not enough space?

5. macAllen macrumors 6502

macAllen

EXACTLY. to elaborate on this statement.

It defiantly gives that wow factor but it also brings a sense of ownership or having that image in the palm of your hand and actually flipping thought the pictures with their finger. Its just like the old times where you would print out photos and flip though them. But this time its digital and a far better experience.

The only problem I see with this is actually sitting with the client and having him/her hold it in their hands. Getting close to it in other words. So if your not finicky about handing over your iPad, an iPad is the way to go.

luck.

6. Shymcfly macrumors member

This is the sole reason I purchased my iPad. Well that and i like to stay up to date on my gadgets. Every client thus far has commented on how much they liked being able to view the images on the iPad. I have even sold a few. I feel it's a much more intimate way to view the images. As far as letting clients touch it I have one solely for that purpose. A 16 gig, for showing clients, and when not doing that my portfolio plays as a digital frame. Also if you run a photography business most likely you have insurance on your gear. I simply added my ipads to that.

7. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

If you have the most up to date Android version, I think you can also use your Droid to share your 3G connection over wireless....

16GB won't be enough space if you are planning on dumping CF cards of photos onto the iPad as well as having movies on it. That was the only downside of only taking my iPad with me to NY, I have GBs or RAW photos on my fiancée's MacBook that she's been sending to me through Dropbox for the last few days.

If I ever was able to consider photography as a viable business for myself, the primary device when visiting clients would be an iPad.

With the EyeFi, you can get it to upload to a Flickr Account/Picasa account or an ftp share on your own computer, so provided that your iPad is connected to wifi too, you could use it to get quick previews.

8. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

I use the iPad for showing pix to clients, friends, etc. Just the 16gig version, which is plenty big enough for my needs... which is mainly for pix and for writing, email and web browsing.

The iPad is perfect for showing (off) your work. There are two "wow!" moments: first when you hand someone the iPad and show them how to scroll through your pix with a flick of the finger (and second, hopefully, when they see your pix...).

Instead of showing someone your work, it's like they're discovering it for themselves (and at their own pace). That makes the iPad a really effective portfolio, IMO...

9. MattSepeta thread starter macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Did it!

I bought the 32gb WIFi last night, with a incase (i think) case that sort of props it up. Spent about an hour syncing with the photos in my blog posts / galleries folder then off to an initial client meeting.

Set it up to slideshow an entire gallery on my zenfolio, then let clients cruise through my galleries. It really does feel different.... I got the impression that the clients enjoyed it, and it does feel much more "natural" than my macbook ever did. The touchscreen interface in the photo galleries is SOOO snappy and responsive!

Sealed the deal with the clients, Glad I got this... Now if I could only get any of my videos to work....

Question: Is there any way (or app) to handle contract signing with an iPad??? I imagine pulling up the contract, handing the ipad to them to read over and sign. Will Pages functionality allow this?

10. MattSepeta thread starter macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

11. Duke&tank macrumors member

your welcome how did it turn out for you?

Aaron

12. MattSepeta thread starter macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

I wanted to like the App... But I just cant. It is iPhone resolution so it is either a) inoperable due to tiny keyboard and awkward holding position of ipad, or b) huge and terrible looking resolution.

Besides that, the interface is terribly clunky, the "signing" feature does not save to the PDFs, and "save draft" feature has deleted a few draft contracts, resulting in me being more than a little bit angry.

I think I am going to look into Office 2 HD to simply edit the contracts and then save them and email to both parties at the end of the meeting. This will also let me edit my google spreadsheets more effectively I believe.

Thoughts on Office 2 HD for this purpose?