iPad for piano/music practice

Discussion in 'iPad' started by brdwygurl, Aug 21, 2010.

1. brdwygurl macrumors regular

I am trying to decide between an ipad and a netbook/laptop and I wondered if anyone uses their ipad for things like this, or if you know of apps that could accomplish these things.

-play scorch files

-select a portion of the music to loop for practicing small sections of a piece

-transpose, adjust tempo etc

-select midi channels to practice one hand

anything else?

I currently do some of this on my desktop. But that requires editing and saving a file and transferring it to my iphone because my desktop is not near my computer. While I love my phone....my 40+ year old eyes don't love the small screen :eek:

thanks

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

There aren't currently any apps for playing Scorch files, unfortunately.

I use an app called ForScore which is mostly just a music reader as opposed to a practicing aid. What you're looking for is an all-in-one midi tool which I don't believe exists on the App Store. I could be wrong, I haven't really looked much but from initial browsing there doesn't seem to be anything.

3. brdwygurl thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks I appreciate your reply. It seems like with the touch interface it would be perfect for practice. I was hoping it would be possible to do at least some of those things. I'll keep looking.

4. Zcott macrumors 68020

BTW, if you do come across something, please check back and let me know; I'd be interested in using it.