iPad for teaching special-ed kid ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mjoshi123, Nov 19, 2010.

1. mjoshi123 macrumors 6502

mjoshi123

Anybody here have experience of using iPad to teach kids with special needs. My son is 6 years old and at present goes to special ed school. He knows his letters and numbers but still not able to read words or sentences. Anyone here experienced using iPad for kids with special needs ? He loves "reading" books. He does more of picture waking, he is good at grasping things if it is taught in certain way because of his illness.

2. Mrmalcontent macrumors newbie

Hi, I've used the iPad quite a lot in school for various reasons. There are quite a lot of good book apps out there - some highly interactive that will hold attention. One that caught my eye especially was the Alice in Wonderland app that you could use for shared reading with your child.
    It is very interactive and uses the iPad's capabilities very well.
    The Tesla App is very good for sensory issues and helps children track movement. Could use it for tracking from left to right for practice in developing reading skills.
    Many of the apps lead on to other good ones - worth having a search around online for recommendations from education sites.
    Hope this helps

3. McGilli macrumors 6502

On a computer, the best site I have found for any children is starfall dot com. It is used by elementary schools in my region.

Now, it requires flash so it wont work on the iPad. But if you go to the site on your ipad and click on some of the activites, they direct you to links on the itunes store where you can get much of the content in app form.

The apps are about $2 or $3. The website is free. Check them out. My daughter is five and she loves the website.

4. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

I think it would be a tremendous tool. I know our school is now implementing ipads in the general elementary classes after they first introduced them to special ed elementary classes with great success. She said the proloquo App was used and it really was an overnight sensation so to speak.

Best wishes!!

5. rworne macrumors 6502

One thing to consider if communication is an issue is Proloquo2Go. As an app it's pricey, but anything similar to it costs way more than this does.

6. Sixtafoua macrumors 6502

Sixtafoua

I'm a high school student, and I bring my iPad with me to school every day. I use my iPad to type papers and take notes in class, and it keeps me organized in class to have everything right there on my iPad. I don't have any experience with special ed students, so I cant really say if the iPad is a good match for you, but I can say that the iPad is a really compelling education device with all the apps and books. You might want to look through the app store to see if there are any cool apps that might be good for kids that age. I know there are plenty of apps for education so you may want to look at a few of them. I hope this helps. :)

7. LaughingAtYou macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

It doesn't help.

8. mjoshi123 thread starter macrumors 6502

mjoshi123

Thanks guys for all your help, I'm looking forward to picking up iPad2 whenever it comes out.

9. mjoshi123 thread starter macrumors 6502

mjoshi123

Okay I'm going to buy this new one as soon as it is available. I want to know if 16GB is good enough for special ed kids learning purpose or the apps take up lot of space and hence I need higher version ? Please help before I put in my order.

10. mjoshi123 thread starter macrumors 6502

mjoshi123

What is going on with this thread there were few useful post by someone related to apps they were using for special-ed and now that post is gone.