iPad for Textbooks, good idea or bad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BrutusMaximus, Aug 23, 2011.

1. BrutusMaximus macrumors member

BrutusMaximus

I already have an i pad and been thinking about getting kindle version of my textbooks this semester, they are a little bit cheaper ( $80ish vs $100ish, used ). Its not so much the money factor, as the study habits I'm concerned with. It does seem to be convenient to have all 3 books I need in the ipad, but curious to know if anyone else found it to be easier or more difficult to study with, and use in class?

Plus, i dont wanna be of "those guys" that whips out the ipad every chance to try and show it off. been seeing that a lot lately on campus.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It depends a lot on what kind of books you require and your learning style. If you're an English major the adjustment will probably be pretty easy. If you're a science major or take a lot of notes in your books it might not.

3. BrutusMaximus thread starter macrumors member

BrutusMaximus

I'm actually a CIS major. This semester i have intro to java, a Linux based networking class, and system analysis and design.

I do take notes, but not usually in the book. I have a notebook or something i jot all the notes in.

I kinda wish there was a package, the text book AND kindle/eReader version together. would surely make the decision easier

4. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I am a CIS major and take notes as well, but I'm all online - have yet to set foot in a classroom and will graduate in February.

I don't even have paper or pen on my desk, and I get really pissed off if I can't get my textbooks in electronic format. It's all about searchability for me. I type up my notes in Evernote so they are available on my work PC, my Mac, iPad, and Android phone. I have the Kindle app on all my computers and devices as well, so I always have my books and notes with me wherever I am.

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I got 3 of my 6 textbooks on my iPad through coursesmart. Started using it today, and the convince of it is amazing. I saved almost $250 between the three textbooks putting them on my iPad than a physical copy, either purchasing or renting them. One of my books is $220 and I got it for $69...Great deal!

6. saberahul macrumors 68040

Good idea? It's a great idea! I have saved so much money using my iPad as a textbook replacement. Additionally, it saves a heck a lot of weight. A lot of my textbooks are in PDF format as my grad prof's write them themselves and give it out to free for students. I tend to use GoodReader to read these PDF's and annotate them freely.

7. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

I've found a lot of books that I've needed aren't available on the iPad, and people say they're cheaper as well but buying used books off Amazon has been cheaper for me than the few books I have bought on the iPad.

8. palpatine macrumors 68040

if i cannot find an ebook version, i buy a used one and digitize it myself using an office quality scanner (600 dpi and fast)/digital camera (14mp)/scansnap (tear off spines) + adobe acrobat pro (ocr, bookmarking, etc.).

i have to read plenty of materials in paper form for my research, but as much as possible, i use a combination of the kindle dx and ipad to read. i take notes by syncing my bluetooth keyboard to my ipod, and when i am not using the ipad to read, i am writing/revising my work. so, i only carry a man purse to campus. i do a lot of overseas travel, and i pack much lighter now. the ipad has revolutionized research for me and made it so much more enjoyable.

it won't work for everyone, but it certainly has changed my life. if you want a more in-depth look at using the ipad in academia, see the threads i have started (my name -> statistics)