iPad for work computer - one day test.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Lunchb0x8, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

I know a few have published articles, posted threads here and in other places about the exact thing I am doing.

But, I don't care, I felt like posting this to let people know how I am going about it and how it is all going.

I got to work at about 7:30, and at about 10am decided it was time to try the thing I had joked about several times.

Laptop shutdown, Apple wireless keyboard turned on and my iPad propped up in viewing mode for a comfortable viewing experience, I decided to get to work.

My job is that of an IT Technical Officer, so I do a bit of RDP, AD admin and some basic web viewing for our ticketing system and checking articles and documentation for work stuff.....

So far, all is going well, I am thinking it might be a bit of a chore should something complex happen, so my laptop is just behind my iPad, but powered off and closed to prevent temptation getting the better of me.

My apps for the aforementioned work are as follows;
    RDP - iTap RDP
    VNC - iTap VNC
    Web - Safari (duh)
    eMail - Mail (duh again)
    AD admin - AD HelpDesk
    Keeping me from killing co-workers - Music app

Anybody on here work in IT and tried this out?

Will post back later in the day with any changes to my methods or updates on how it is going.

Cheers guys and gals!

2. MrJoshua-UK macrumors newbie

3. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

-

4. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

My job heavily uses VMWare View.. amazing product and free.. I can do my job nearly 100% with my View desktop.. I have a XP vm and a Win7 vm. Good times.. even transfers audio.

5. Lunchb0x8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Those all sound like good-ish ideas, but I wanted to use the iPad as an iPad for work, not a receiver for a Win-Desktop.

I could always just RDP to a server and do everything from that... but then why bother using an iPad?

I admit though, I had to turn my laptop back on for a sec, as one particular document I had to send to a colleague was not in my dropbox account, so I had to boot up, login, copy, paste and then shutdown again, once it was in dropbox, I switched back to the iPad and kept going.

6. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

Sounds like a neat adventure. No way do I feel it is plausible to replace a laptop/desktop. But hey, good on ya.

I have to ask, what the heck is a IT Techincal Officer? I swear, to many job titles these days.

7. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

This sounds pretty neat.
    I use my iPad for work too but mostly communication.
    I'm sometimes amazed though on what can be done with the right app.
    Finding them is the challenge though.
    Good luck with your test.

8. LNYMRKO macrumors regular

I work in IT too (system/network engineer for new clients + ongoing maintenance/support to exisiting clients) and I've also started using my iPad at work, but I mainly use it as a 3rd screen for more real estate to be honest.

I have my laptop in a docking station as my primary screen centered, a second external monitor to the right and the iPad docked to the left. I use the main laptop screen for my actual work I'm doing (usually RDP, TeamViewer, VNC etc), the external monitor for our job ticketing system and Outlook, and the iPad with our clients server monitoring software and password/documentation database (web based).

I find having it there helps out heaps in productivity as I dont have to keep switching between the job ticketing system and documentation database on my external monitor, I can keep an eye on all 3 at the same time. It's also great for consultation meetings and note taking, and also on-site visits in which I may need basic computer access, but don't want/need to bring my entire laptop with me.

I highly doubt I could ever use my iPad as a primary/only workstation though! Be interested to see how you go :p

9. Lunchb0x8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is working well so far.

I am actually finding it harder to waste time due to it being a bit more effort to mess around on forums and comics...

IT Technical Officer - is essentially helpdesk / system engineer / network admin / guru of all things IT...

Well, sort of...

10. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

I too was surprised how i can be way more productive and focused on the iPad. I feel like the lack of multitasking is actually a good thing. :cool: On my mac it's so easy to veer off task.

11. Lunchb0x8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I normally have multiple forums open, and many MR subforums, but with tapatalk, I actually have to navigate the forums and actually look for things.

That, coupled with the no mouse, it takes a bit more work to actually switch between apps, so I actually think for a second before I jump around to other apps making me plan out my work a bit more.

Has been 3 hours, and only 2 minutes of that time was done with a laptop due to lack of forethought.

12. entatlrg, Mar 28, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012

entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Get a MacBook Air and get things done faster, easier, more efficiently.

I LOVE my 3rd gen iPad, the Retina display and all that, I use it daily ... but not for computing tasks ... it's slower, more difficult to type ... simply not designed to be a computer replacement unless you've got lot's of time to fiddle around ... like my Mom for example, doesn't care how long it takes her to type an email, create a word/pages doc, or do basic computing tasks.

A laptop / MacBook Air and iPad can work 'together' and it's the ultimate set up when both are utilized for their strengths ... for one to replace the other? No.

When the iPad was introduced my hopes where it could replace all or most my computing tasks. It wasn't long before I realized it couldn't. Depending what offices I'm working at I use a Mac Pro, 17" MBP, MacBook Air and my iPad.

I'm not one that enjoys sitting at a desk behind monitor so my Air gets the most use by far. Next would be my 17" in my home office/den for the heavy lifting. I love my Air, reasonably powerful and I can get work done anywhere.

My position: CEO of a small ($11 million annual) Design/Prototyping/Manufacturing Company.

13. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

I'd rather carry around (or just leave at work) a wireless keyboard - no typing issues henceforth.

However, I agree, some things at this stage are still much easier with a computer.

14. Lunchb0x8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I use a Windows machine for work normally, which is an ASUS UX21E Zenbook, is essentially a slightly less sexy MBA.

The iPad is handling most of my needs fairly well, using it for audio whilst I work, checking some humorous sites in the meantime as well.

About to break for lunch I think, so might see a full day of only iPad (except for previously mentioned things).

May try this again tomorrow, see if I can do a whole day... well, except for work that I will need to do on some computers in the office, but not on mine!

15. mikegoldnj macrumors regular

I've been trying to use my new iPad with Citrix Receiver.

I am finding it extremely difficult to navigate in the apps within Receiver (Internet Explorer, Outlook, etc.) without a mouse or trackpad of some kind.

How do you do it?

16. ZipZap macrumors 601

Must be nice to work for an employer that allows the use of personal devices connected to their systems.

17. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

No kidding. I'm tied to a government computer so forget using the iPad. The iPad is great for getting to sites that are blocked however. My boss loves me because I can go where nobody else can.

18. SK360 macrumors 6502

We have wifi in the office but it is not able to access inside resources. I couldn't touch any of our domains so it is useless to me as a sys admin at work. Unfortunately I am stuck inside of our massive corporate infrastructure

19. newone757 macrumors 6502

Well I work in a controlled environment. Can't bring in any electronics of any kind, so I'm stuck with what they provide us. 2 terminals with dual monitors and a switch box. Everything running thin client so nothing is actually stored on our machines. I really wished I worked somewhere I could have my phone, let alone ,my iPad!

20. dsquared81 macrumors 6502

Yup, sounds like my office

21. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

The lack of mouse is the biggest downfall for me. I use Citrix receiver all day at work so navigation is a pain.

I do find it handy for Pages though, and to a lesser extent, numbers. My job requires me to move through the building quite a bit, and the iPad is much more portable than my laptop. It's sufficient enough for short trips away from the office, but I couldn't use it all day.

22. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Oh. I used to do that job. Alas, now i'm not and I don't miss it! LOL!!

23. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

IT Technical Officer = Information Technology Technical Officer?

Sort of redundant title.

24. Lunchb0x8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I work in local government, so my role is a bit streamlined in places, but in others it is a bit of a shambles.

I told my boss about this experiment (he was away when I did it :p) he thought it was a great idea, but knew most of our users probably wouldn't have the knack for doing work the way I do, and as such, would struggle with basic work on an iPad.

25. SK360 macrumors 6502

I do use evernote for day to day notes and meeting notes tho... at least I integrate it somewhat lol.