Ipad for work

Discussion in 'iPad' started by powerman, Mar 16, 2012.

1. powerman macrumors regular

powerman

My company is looking to get us the new ipad(3). Is anyone else going to be using it for work purposes?
    Has it been useful to those using the ipad 2?
    I drive a lot with my work, and having a laptop along just is not working for me. It is a toughbook, very heavy and not really user friendly on the side of the road.

2. Jspring86 Suspended

Jspring86

I use my iPad for work. I'm a PhD student and instructor in mathematics. All of my research notebooks and lecture notes for the courses I teach are kept on the iPad. I also use it to compile interactive sets of notes for my students. I think it is a very useful tool in these respects.

In addition to the above uses I also use it to write some code when I'm away from my laptop, usually LaTex or Matlab code, but I have used it for Python and C script composition as well.

It is also great as a device for reading and annotating PDFs.

I don't know what work you plan to do with it, but I find it an indispensable tool.

3. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

:O Do you teach at NAU?

4. Jspring86 Suspended

Jspring86

Indeed I do. I'm teaching MAT 137-Calculus II this semester.

5. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

What apps do you use for that?

6. Jspring86 Suspended

Jspring86

Notability lets me add voice recording links with my handwritten/typed notes. This lets the students listen to me solve an example while they see me solving the example in the notes. It lets me add my lecture material in with the handwritten notes, it works pretty well I think.

7. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

Cool, do you use a stylus?

8. Jspring86 Suspended

Jspring86

9. powerman thread starter macrumors regular

powerman

Anyone else doing work on there Ipad? Everything we have is windows related or BB. How do IT guys like it when you use an Ipad at work?

10. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

I use it for Citrix and WebEx sessions. I also use MS Lync and a lot of works emails on it. I work in a NOC/HelpDesk environment

11. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I use it to connect to my company's email (Lotus Notes, don't ask), a lot of PDF handling, QuickOffice Pro HD for light office document creation, and I'm testing several SharePoint clients which look promising.

12. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

If you find a good SharePoint let me know. We use it but the few I tried on iPhone weren't very good.

13. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I run an independent supplement store similar to GNC/Vitamin Shoppe and I constantly use my iPad at work. I use a number of apps regularly that make a use difference.

"Counter Culture" for collecting names and e-mails (We have a very large e-mail data base) and with traditional pad and pen it got impossible to keep up with them all. And you'd be surprised, but at different events that we sponsor, you get home with a large list of names and e-mails and can't read most of them.

Secondly, I use Pages for basic word processing, and ordering/lists for our stores.

Publisher Star, for basic flyers, and banners/signs that we put up in our stores to advertise different sales specials.

PSTouch, now for the same reasons as stated above.

I know it's not iPad dominant but Pocket Scan for iPhone. This app converts photos into .pdfs and works perfectly as a pocket scanner, I've stopped using a fax machine altogether because of this app!

Carpentry app on the iPhone, you'd be amazed at how many times I've had to use this app. It came in really handy yesterday!

EagleEyesHD, great app that syncs all of our security cameras, so I can view them live on the iPad!

At first glade, I didn't think I used very many relevant "work" related apps but when I got down to it, I realized I use quite a bit actually. The iPad for me has gone from being a really fun toy, to a really fun tool that I rely on at work.