Ipad Form Factor

Discussion in 'iPad' started by freeman727, Mar 24, 2012.

1. freeman727 macrumors 6502

I a just got the gen 3 iPad. It is very cool but it's not for everyone. If you do a lot of reading on a tablet the 9.7" screen and weight is a little difficult to hold for long periods of time, unless you got giant Shaq hands. The borders are slightly too small for easy one hand grip. I guess a case with a hand strap would fix the issue.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I agree. I found my Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 a lot more comfortable to hold for extended periods of time.

The problem is now that 1200x800 screen looks fuzzy to me... :rolleyes:

3. noobinator macrumors 601

I'm only 6' tall with average size hands and I find it comfortable, even for long periods of time. Play around with how you hold it.

4. freeman727 thread starter macrumors 6502

We got a Kindle Fire for Christmas. That is the right size for reading. I wish there were an 8" iPad.

5. wmitch macrumors regular

"You're Holding it Wrong" :D

seriously though, as much as I love the new iPad and wouldn't buy anything else, I agree that you do notice the weight after a bit.

6. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

Even if Apple releases a 7.8 to 8 inch ipad I would still pay $500 for it (but $350 to $400 would sale very well for Apple). All apple has to do is shrink a ipad 2 down to size. There would be no fragmentation at all.

7. qtx43 macrumors 6502a

The average height in the US is 5'9.5" for men and 5'4" for women. The only reason I replied is because you used the word "only".

8. noobinator macrumors 601

Well I'm not shaq height or have shaq hands which is why I said only.

9. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I'm 6'4" and have freakishly big hands but the iPad is too large for me for extended use as an ebookreader. I prefer a Kindle or Nook for that.

10. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I gotta agree with a poster that the kindle fire is the ideal size for reading (I wish it were a little lighter) and the iPad is a bit big (which is why I haven't gotten an iPad because I see the biggest reason for me to have one is ebook reading. But I'm being given my mom's old iPad 2 so for free I'll make do with it ;) but I still think after playing around with iPad's and kindles and nooks now that I know I'm getting an iPad that the kindle size is much better for books. But, I will enjoy having my iPad work well with the rest of my gadgets since they're all apple stuff ;). Plus the much bigger app library for it cause I do want it to be more than an ebook reader which is why I haven't just bought a kindle fire <- wouldn't consider the normal kindles cause honestly, e-ink annoys me when you change pages and I like having a color screen that is backlit).

11. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

Interesting because I would love for Apple to make a bigger iPad instead of smaller.

12. batotman macrumors 6502

My iPad 1 has a Casecrown Glider case and it has a lip on the front that makes gripping with one hand easy. Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any cases like that for the new one. :(

13. mrj412 macrumors regular

While I enjoy using my iPad for many tasks, I prefer my Nook Simple Touch for reading. I got it a few months ago, both for the clarity of the e-ink screen and for the fact that its just for reading. I found I would set down to start reading on the iPad, get a notification and then I would be using Facebook or another app instead.

I will be using the new iPad for reading technical docs though, PDF files look fantastic on the retina display.

14. qtx43 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, the OP did say shaq hands, didn't he. It's fine for me too but there are a lot of women out there only 5'2 or 5'3. I can see how they might want a 7 inch tablet.

15. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

The difference is that the iPad is a multi-purpose, "jack of all trades" tablet whereas the Kindle, esp. the b/w version, is specifically a reader. Two different markets.

I agree the iPad is not a great book reader, and I still hold on to my old Sony eReader for reading in long time block, and outdoors. However, the iPad is great for reading magazines and PDFs, which is not a strong suit of the eInk readers, and then there is everything else the iPad does that even the Kindle Fire cannot do.

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I'm a 5' tall woman, and I have no trouble using the iPad. I don't try to hold it up in the air, however, I just rest it on my lap. It's just like reading a hard cover book, really, only you get to carry 100s of books with you instead of just one for the same weight.

17. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The smart cover makes it easy to hold vertically with one hand.