iPad funding

Discussion in 'iPad' started by adm90, Feb 20, 2012.

1. adm90 macrumors newbie

So im looking to scrape up some extra cash for the iPad3 as well as an iphone 4s since im up for an upgrade now... I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with www.orangeoffer.com ??? I tried gazelle and they were only gonna give me 80 for my phone and this place was gonna give me 140... Its a pretty big difference so i would love to sell to them... However im kinda worried about not finding anything about them after a quick google search... So if anyone has ever sold to them and can vouch for them please lemme know! :D

2. Ishmumrhmn macrumors regular

Don't try them. About 5 of my frnds tried it and only 2 of them got cash

3. M87 macrumors 65816

I've used Gazelle many times and the one time I had an issue they were friendly and resolved it quickly. Maybe there are other good companies out there, but Gazelle is the only one I feel comfortable with.

4. maclook macrumors 65816

Dunno what phone you have but you can also check bestbuy.com/tradein
    You can get a best buy gift card that's worth a good amount simply by going to the store. That site lets you calculate how much your phone would be worth.

Again, this only applies to some products. My camera, for example, had to be sent in which is a little nerve-racking because people have gotten scammed that way. For my Macbook, I just brought it to the store and they gave me my gift card on the spot which was easy.

5. adm90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool, thanks for the responses. Ill def check out that bestbuy one. Idk why didnt bother to even see if they offered those services. Can you upgrade phones through best buy? Or are they purely new contracts and non contract purchase only?

6. Ishmumrhmn macrumors regular

Nope, cant upgrade
    Im in Canada though

7. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

Just use eBay and cut out the middleman. Gazelle stinks. They offered me $51 for my G1 phone, and I rejected them and sold it on eBay the next week for $120.

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

All of these trade-in sites are wholesalers. They make their money on the difference in what they pay you for the phone and what they resell it for to another individual.

You pay for that convenience in a substantially lower amount of money compared to selling it yourself.

Read up on how to avoid the rookie/stupid mistakes that get you scammed on ebay or craigslist or Kijiji or whatnot and sell it there for more money in your pocket.

9. adm90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I'm intimidated by selling on Ebay after reading some horror stories lol. But I'll check around and see what I could read on. As for craigslist i have had it listed for a bit now and no luck, and mine is the only one up too lol. I was just really hoping I could get some positive reviews about the site I listed cuz they were gonna give me about what I was hoping. But if they are gonna be how the other poster said I don't even wanna bother?

10. deeddawg, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012

deeddawg macrumors 604

@adm90: What's your craigslist asking price as compared to price for completed ebay sales and Amazon used ipad prices of the same configuration?

Although there are other explanations for getting no response on craigslist, my first thought is it's priced too high. Even if negotiable my experience with CL is if it's too high people won't even bother making a lower offer (apart from the lowballers seeking distressed sellers)

As for Orangeoffer.com -- have a look at http://who.godaddy.com/whoischeck.aspx?Domain=ORANGEOFFER.COM
    Note that they've chosen to keep their personal info confidential, using GoDaddy's Domains by Proxy service.
    No phone number or street address on their website. What's the shipping address of your offer / UPS label? What's it look like on maps.google.com satellite?

11. Laimbeersux macrumors 6502

I used ebay's instant sale program on my AT&T iPhone 4 back when I switched to Verizon and got a great deal. Granted it was mid-way through a product life-cycle instead of a few weeks prior to the product's replacement being announced, but they gave me a great deal and had no issues being scammed like you take a chance with on a regular ebay sale or on craigslist. I just checked for iPad 2 prices and saw prices between 275 and 314 dollars for the wifi-only ones, 294 and 345 for AT&T 3G ones, and 368 and 410 dollars for the Verizon ones.

Here is the link for what it's worth:
    http://instantsale.ebay.com/

12. deeddawg macrumors 604

@Laimbeersux: that is certainly a valid option for those desiring zero risk and requiring no effort. Of the wholesalers, I'd probably trust them the most.

Downside is you pay a bunch for the convenience and peace of mind; they're offering $319 for a 32GB AT&T iPad2 -- put it on CL for $450 and you'll have an extra $100 in your pocket within a day. (They're going for ~$520-550 on ebay and a little under $550 user on Amazon.)

13. adm90 thread starter macrumors newbie

The lowest price i had seen on ebay was 130, so i put mine up for a 120 and negotiable. Im kinda assuming im not getting many local hits because the phone is about 8 months old now, but its in mint condition (I baby my electronics lol) so i was hoping to at least get 100 for it... Thats the only reason i even considered orangeoffer they offered 130 for it. As for the location in the UPS tag, i didnt go that far down the process. I only have 5 days to use the UPS and take their offer from the time they offer it. And i have a feeling they reduce it when they find out your a second time applicant... But i am concerned how i cant find any info on them at all it seems kinda scary sending your phone out with no way of know where it goes or what happens to it...