iPad future naming scheme

Discussion in 'iPad' started by suburbanwar, Mar 8, 2016.

1. suburbanwar macrumors newbie

suburbanwar

There seems to be some confusion on how the new (to be announced in a few weeks?) 9.7" iPad is going to be called; Air 3 or Pro. I think Apple is going to change and simplify the iPad naming scheme.

iPad Pro: 12.9" and 9.7" with smart connector, pencil support and A(9)X processors. Focused on businesses, students and demanding costumers that work on these devices.

iPad: 9.7" and 7.9" without the features of the Pro, and with A(9) processors. Focused on consumers that consume media (watching movies, reading articles, newspapers, games etc.).

This strategy eliminates the need for selling two generations because the price point of the iPad can be lower (less expensive hardware) than the Pro and the cycle can be more than one year. Upgrading these products every 18-24 months wouldn't be strange as most people don't upgrade their iPad that often. This would make sense to me if Apple would announce this at the upcoming event and would also send a signal to the opinion that the future of the iPad is doomed (which is not true in my opinion).
    What do you think?

2. fanboi4lyfe macrumors regular

fanboi4lyfe

I really like this naming scheme idea, I think it would refresh a sort of stale iPad lineup. Like you said, people are not updating their iPads as often as their iPhones so the refresh cycle is a lot longer. I do disagree that they need to update them essentially every year to keep the hardware up to date.

I think it would be interesting to have 2 Pro models though... I think the Pro separates itself based on size alone, but it would be pretty cool to have Pencil Support across a couple different products. Especially to help offset the $99 price tag. I hope this March event coming up has some good product info to release.

3. Rideherhard macrumors 6502

I don't like the pro naming, iPads aren't pro devices and I love the iPad for me they work great and is my main computer. But apple should keep it simple, iPad plus(or 12.9"), iPad(or 9.7") and iPad mini(or 7.9) now if they want a cheaper 9.7" model call that the air.