iPad Games STILL Sparse.....

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cmvsm, Dec 11, 2010.

1. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

Sold my iPad about a month or so ago due to the lack of developer support in the gaming arena, and bought an iPod Touch. In terms of game availability for the iPod Touch, its amazing how often the new releases are updated. I just checked back on the iPad site, and still mostly the same crap.

I just don't get the developers. There is a brand new iPad 2 coming out of the shoot in a few months, that will most likely be smaller, have more memory, better screen, and one maybe 2 cameras, yet developers don't see to be giving the iPad any more attention than they did during launch...maybe less.

I mentioned this before and some responded by saying that developers needed time to get quality work out on the market, but that is crap. The iPhone 4 is the bread and butter and iPad buyers are just not commanding enough of the market share to get a fair shake on releases.

Let's hope it changes, or at least the developers can make universal versions for both formats.

2. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

I sold my iPad 64GB 3G 6 weeks ago and purchased a new MacBook Air. I've since sold the Air and bought a iPod 64GB touch. I've returned the touch and longing to have my iPad back. I'm trying to kill the temptation but I can't.

3. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

Will you shut up? The iPad is a brand new product, of course it takes time to catch on. The games are fine. Stop complaining.

4. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

Yh I skipped the ipad because plan to get the ipad 2 but so far the ipad is still lacking in apps. Sure i could use my iphone apps on it but they look garbage x2. Theres always something new and refreshing to download on iphone but not so much on ipad imo.

5. Stirolak123, Dec 11, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2010

Stirolak123 macrumors 6502

What kinds of games can you play on the mac book air? Will it even run starcraft 2? (assuming u get the digital ver since it doesbt have a cd player).

6. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

I think the reason developer support for either A) Universal builds of existing titles, and/or B) iPad versions of existing iPhone games is the user bases for each device. iPhone/iPod Touch has a significantly larger user base than iPad owners. So the prices for iPad games have to be higher in order to cover the same margins as selling a game for less for iPhone.

It's disappointing yes, but keep in mind that the iPad is less than a year old... the original iPhone didn't even have an SDK to allow for 3rd party apps until iPhone 3G; so the iPad is on an accelerated growth pattern already. However, the fact still remains that until the iPad can produce numbers similar to iPhone, developers will treat it as a secondary market.

7. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

I guess I don't get your complaint. All iPod touch games work on the iPad as well. More games enhanced for the iPad will be coming as the market increases. Right now as a developer it is hard to justify making spec if iPad games at it's current install base.

I still would like to see an option at the OS level to run apps that are enhanced for retina display at those resolutions on the iPad instead of the 2x option just doubling the low res size (doubling 480x320 to 960x640). You get a black border either way and the objects/buttons are the same, so why not give the iPad the enhanced version (true 960x640).

8. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

There are medications and thearpy to help with OCD behavior.

9. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

I was waiting for him to say that he finally decided to buy an iPod Shuffle.

10. EarthDawn, Dec 12, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2010

EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

well... the truly talented companies are starting to reveal the depth of the ipads capabilities. Forget the next ipad for this and focus on what we already have for the first one thats still less then a year old.

I think looking at a game like Infinity Blade that was just released is a good sign of things to come.

11. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

There's been quite a few good games released I think recently. Like in the uk we have countdown, Harry potter, jenga, monopoly, who wants to be a millionaire and a few others. There's much more than there was originally so it's getting better but not towards the iPod touch/iPhone level yet. Probably be a few more games coming out soon since they may want to get them out before Christmas.

12. snowmaan macrumors regular

Hmmmm
    Now, the oPad is brilliant, end of story. Going back to ipod touch from that is like going from a Ferrari to a BMW

Good games, yes but getting better and more of them
    Great games: Nanosaur 2, Infinity Blade, Archangel. Resident evil, Tiptop, Dungeon Hunter, Let's golf 2, Splinter cell, The Settlers, BIA2, Yahtzee even is fun

All personal taste of course, games are, and I will be getting the new Ipad when it comes out and giving mine to my son.

The ipad is fantastic. I tried to get an epad 4 months ago b4 getting an ipad, so I could wait til gen 2, but it just can't compare on any level whatsoever!

Love mine, and am just starting to work on developing a game now which will probably be a universal version

13. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Personally for me, it did take a long long time to get started.

The top charts were almost stuck for months with the same old titles.

I'd have to say in recent weeks, it's starting to look a lot better.
    Some nice new games have started to appear.

Its like we have the 1st early wave of games just after launch and then it went into a kind of limbo land during which time people were working on their next titles.

Must say, I think we are mostly over that period now, and whilst it will take time, I feel the good stuff is coming through now in better quantities.

It would be nice if other titles could get a chance to get featured on the charts, as I'm sure many people just look at the what's at the top and don't bother looking further down. So popular apps get more popular and other ones never get a chance.

14. snowmaan macrumors regular

Swell said:
    "popular apps get more popular and other ones never get a chance."

How true is that.
    The problem also is the amount of rubbish apps flooding the app store. Good apps get missed as it's so hard getting past the rubbish, and then on the other hand you just get flooded with reviews and ads for the top Angry Birds type games

Apple should cut down on rubbish apps, not just talk about doing it

15. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with Angry Birds, it's a great game, albeit it's been around quite some time now, and major perhaps a revamp would not hurt it.

It's the fact that it's going to be 1 year soon, and I bet at that point Angry birds will still be in the top 10.

Question is, does it deserve to be really, or is it just that it got there and was good, so people bought it and liked it, rated it will, which pushed it up the chart so more people bought it, who rated it, which kept it up the chart so more people bought it....................... And so it goes on.

Note: I've nothing against Angry Birds, just using that as an example of the problem with having such a small "charts" area.

It feeling a bit like a excellent music band that plays small gigs, but can't get very far as they can't get major recording deals, and as they can't get the deals, not many people hear about them, so they can't get popular and hence then can't get the deals, and so it gets stuck in the loop.

Whilst the people at the top have all the money, get all the breaks, the right contacts and major coverage by the media, so despite perhaps them not being THAT great anymore, they can just stay at the top, and keep churning over the money, despite tiny bands that get no coverage and are almost unknown actually having more talent.

16. Nausicaa macrumors 6502a

iPad users < iPhone/iPod Touch users

By a very large margin. It's that simple.

That said, most high profile game titles are released on both platforms, and I can't really think of any iPhone apps I've wanted that aren't also available on the iPad (though I know they exist). I'm quite happy with the iPad app selection, both games and non-games. I probably wouldn't have said that five months ago, but considering the iPad has been out for less than a year, the volume and variety of apps is nothing less than impressive.

17. cmvsm thread starter macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

You just summed up my complaint in your last sentence above. Playing a non-native game on an iPad at the x2 setting simply sucks from a graphics stand point. If I wanted Atari 2600 graphics, I have one of those in my closet.

18. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Perhaps a developer can explain this one for us all?

I would of thought that for most games, unlike Apps that are laid out totally different, many times an iPad game might be virtually the same as an iPhone game, just with higher definition graphics, button locations and a few other bits.

The main core/logic of the code and how on screen things interact would be pretty much the same.

If you spend say 4 to 6 months coding up say an iPhone game to get iPhone sales, and then don't do an iPad version confuses me.

Would it not take, say, just 1 more month to port the code over and re-do the graphics for the iPad version?

That way giving you access to a whole new userbase?

19. snowmaan macrumors regular

That's a terrible complaint sorry
    More and more are coming out, especially of late

It's like complaining about blue ray titles 8 months in and sticking with DVD
    Please. Let's have this conversation in 6 months time

I can't bear looking at the tiny screen of an iPhone anymore, it just doesn't compare on any level

20. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I'm not a developer, but I think this has already been answered. That is, for some developers, for whatever reason, the user base of the iPad isn't large enough to put even the extra month of work into the iPad version. Those developers whose games can be easily ported to the iPad and who feel the effort is worth it are already doing so. The way some people are talking in this thread, you'd think nobody is porting any iPhone games to iPad, but the fact is, a considerable number of games have been ported. There are also a fair number of games that are iPad only, because the design of the game is too complex to work well on the smaller screen of the iPhone. People need to accept that these are two different platforms, and having an app for one doesn't automatically mean you'll get it for the other.

21. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

It quite simply boils down to the 100+ million market the iPod Touch and iPhone consists of versus the comparably slim, around 10 million iPads.

Besides it takes longer to fit or adapt most content to the iPad from the iPod Touch and iPhone.

The user interface most likely have to change, so does all the artwork and textures. These things take time and cost money.

Think of the current iPad specific store as the beginning of the App Store back in 2008.