iPad gestures should be reversed

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by TC03, Aug 14, 2014.

1. TC03 macrumors 65816

Currently:
    - pinch to return to homescreen
    - four fingers up to multitask

Given how iOS 8 displays these gestures, it would be much more natural to use the pinch gesture to start multitasking. Returning to the home screen could have a new animation in which the app slides away in upward direction and vanishes.

The four finger gesture is one of the few things that worked better in iOS 6, I used it all the time. Since iOS 7, it feels weird and I don't use it anymore.

2. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

3. CarmelMacchiato macrumors member

4. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Definitely not. I like the close hand gesture to close my apps.

5. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Although it makes sense, perhaps allowing users to change the gestures like on OS X seems more likely.

6. Dj64Mk7 macrumors 6502a

I think the OP is saying that four-finger swipe up doesn't make sense anymore, because of the app switcher in iOS 7.

In iOS 6, you "pulled" the screen up to reveal multitasking, but that doesn't make logical sense anymore with the 'card-based' app switcher introduced in iOS 7.

7. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Exactly. However, people's brains are already hardwired to do that gesture so the next best thing is to offer then a chance to change it manually, such as with OS X, as I suggested earlier.

8. joejoejoe, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014

joejoejoe macrumors 65816

Apple has made it clear that broad stroked interaction (doing very common tasks like going to the home screen or entering multitasking) is not and will never be customizable.

One of the fundamental principles of iOS is that it's a highly maintained and consistent experience across platforms and devices.

They want people to learn one device and know how to use them all with little to no learning curve.

Customizable gestures aren't likely given the philosophy that their mobile system is founded upon.

9. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Apple implemented an inconsistency between OSX and iOS, wherein the pinch gesture does different things for each (App Launcher in OSX, and back to home in iOS).

The best solution would be to allow users to customize their own gestures.

10. ps3zocker macrumors regular

They could probably use the 4 finger pinch gesture to enter Multitasking and if you pinch even further it could close the app and zoom out.

11. Dj64Mk7 macrumors 6502a

Although this "inconsistency" is consistent. Launchpad is the OS X equivalent to the iOS Home screen.

Similar, but different all the same:

Attached Files: