Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sflomenb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
I've had an iPad Air since Thanksgiving weekend. I love it. It's been perfect, especially with its battery life, getting at least 10 hours of usage, sometimes more, across multiple days. It's been wonderful, compared to my iPhone.

However, recently, I've noticed some strange behavior. When I do certain tasks, such as FaceTime or steaming video, my iPad Air gets hot, and the battery drains very fast. Right now, the stats are about 5 hours and 15 minutes of usage with 12 hours and 13 minutes of standby, and it's at 26%. It's almost as bad as my iPhone now. I spent about 40-50 minutes of streaming video and 50 minutes of FaceTime this evening before posting. I have used FaceTime in the past, before this week when I experienced it getting warm, and have not had heat problems nor battery problems. I haven't changed anything in the Settings, I have everything on. Everything was on even when my iPad was getting amazing battery life that I mentioned earlier.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Streaming videos and FaceTime are both CPU/GPU intensive tasks, and also use a lot of RAM and require the Dispaly to be constantly on, they demand a lot of resources so you are bound to get rather poor batt life. I know gaming on my iPad eats battery in no time especially when playing HD games like Asphalt.

nickdylan

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2012
FaceTime will kill your battery. If you're connected to Wifi it isn't quite as bad but it still eats it up faster than anything else you can do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.