iPad goes haywire on some surfaces

Discussion in 'iPad' started by c1000, Aug 6, 2011.

1. c1000 macrumors newbie

I was at a bar yesterday and set my iPad on the counter where I was sitting. For some reason all my touch inputs registered inaccurately. Different letters would display compared to what i typed and the keyboard would keep changing input modes on it's own. I thought my iPad was in need of repair, but it was absolutely fine once I lifted it off the counter and has been fine ever since. Is this a common issue on some surfaces?

2. scorpionfalcon macrumors newbie

I have a feeling the beer had something to do with it :) In all seriousness, maybe the counter was wet and caused some kind of malfunction on the iPad?

3. c1000 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, it was dry, and in any case my ipad was in the smart cover so barely making direct contact. The problem was only evident when the iPad was on the counter and immediately stopped whenever I lifted it off. The counter seemed to be made of synthetic wood

4. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

If the iPad had gotten wet, it wouldn't have stopped just by lifting off the bar. I wonder if there was some source generating electromagnetic waves underneath the bar?

5. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

And the conspiracy theories start,....:rolleyes:

6. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm pretty sure it's the gyroscope that's the issue and not the surface. When your iPad is on a completely flat surface, the iPad can't tell if it should be in portrait or landscape mode, so your inputs turn out all wacky. If you lift the iPad up even by the slightest angle, you'll find that the problem goes away.

7. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Was there a blender ir refridge right below the counter? What about a cash register