iPad gogo in-flight internet

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Richdmoore, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

Hey, I just thought I would point out that the iPad is considered a mobile device by the goo inflight wifi providers, so it actually costs less to use an iPad than a traditional laptop for inflight internet!

(Right now I'm enroute to Dallas, going to try netflix streaming next!) :)

2. bmms8 macrumors 68020

thats good to hear, try to a free code for free internet :)

3. maroontigre macrumors newbie

Fantastic! Did you have any trouble reconnecting after it went to sleep? Or are you keeping it on consistently? Will be very interested in how Netflix works given GoGo's latency.

4. Richdmoore thread starter macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

Netflix iffy

I was able to stream netflix, (I played the movie Raising Arizona). But after about 8 minutes it started pausing all the time. Not really useable in my opinion, which is a shame. The speed should be good for utube, since the clips are usually shorter and less quality.

I did a short test of Turing off the wifi then back on, no issue reconnecting.

5. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

This is great news! And with a battery that can actually last a whole cross-continental flight, this is actually a viable in-plane surfing solution! :D

6. Richdmoore thread starter macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

Speedtest app reports ping 21, download 1112, upload 236.

(oh, if anyone has any free codes, I would love to hear them, I fly all the time, usually to cheap for the Internet however.)

7. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Disappointing, but understandable considering the bandwidth required and the number of users.

Can you set to load completely before watching?

Or can you set a larger buffer timeframe?

9. BeachChair macrumors 6502a

How many people in the plane are looking jealously at your ipad?:)

10. ACfly macrumors member

9.95 vs 12.95

11. Richdmoore thread starter macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

Here is what I found, the iPad uses the mobile $7.95 plan vs the more expensive notebook plan.

Pricing
    Gogo Flight Pass - Inflight Internet on laptops and mobile devices
    Single Flight (up to 1.5 hrs): $4.95
    Single Flight (1.5-3.0 hrs): $9.95
    Single Flight (more than 3.0 hrs): $12.95

Other Pricing Options
    Mobile Flight Pass: $7.95 (single flight, mobile devices only)
    30-Day Pass: $29.95 (promo price for a limited time - reg. $49.95)
    Note: 24-hour passes currently available for $12.95 on AirTran & Delta, hopefully American soon?

Additional Information
    Users have reported that accounts are tied to email addresses, and some have had success circumventing code usage limitations (i.e.: first-time use only) by signing up for separate accounts through multiple email addresses. YMMV
    Gogo Inflight Internet (Official Website)

Oh, and no settings on the netflix app to preloaded a movie that I can find.

Rich

Actually no one, but I did get bumped to first class on the first leg... :D I did have two people start asking questions in the departure terminal waiting area however...

12. tflight macrumors newbie

Just an update on this. I contacted gogoinflight about two weeks ago and asked them if the iPad was considered a mobile device or a laptop. The guy said (with emphasis) that as of today it is considered a mobile device. (That was a couple of weeks ago.) I got the feeling the policy was going to change.

I flew on May 3 as well as today-- both times I was charged for the more expensive laptop rate and not the mobile rate. I'm not complaining, I imagine the amount of data an iPad uses is more like a laptop than a mobile phone. But as an FYI it does look like they are now charging the laptop prices for the iPad. I still happily forked over the $13 to have almost six hours of wifi.

13. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

Nay!

14. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I was just messing with gogo myself this morning. According to gogo cs there are no promotions right now. I should mention I was on a Delta flight, don't know if this makes any difference. The cs rep seemed to imply it does.

15. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

Anyone use this yet on an American Airlines flight 757, say MIA to LGA and back?

16. etaylor3971 macrumors member

Make your iPad look like an iPhone

If you login to gogo with your iPad on safari you'll be charged the laptop price. I logged on with atomic browser ($0.99 in the app store) and changed the settings to show my browser identity as an iPhone and gogo charged me the mobile pricing!

I bought the 30 day pass for $14.95 since I'll be traveling again later in the month.

Download test indicated 384kb - probably not good enough for netlfix :-(

17. Richdmoore thread starter macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

Dumb question, but if you purchase the plan at the lower rate using atomic browser, will it then cut off if you switch to safari later?

18. Richdmoore thread starter macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

Has anyone actually tried to purchase with that bother web browser, then switch to the normal one? (always trying to save a buck.):D

19. FWW macrumors regular

FWW

Nice, I will definitely try this. Hopefully they don't find a way around this before my next flight in June...

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm not certain that the departure and destination city matters but I used it on an AA flight last week when I was given a free hour. It was pretty neat to surf and fly but completely unnecessary for me. I can be MIA for 2.75 hours without something exploding.

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yeah, but you have to admit it, it would be so ****ing cool to be streaming video from your Mac at home to your iPad on a plane. :D

22. iserian macrumors 6502

Great idea but when I think GoGo I think go go latency. Of the half dozen or so times I have used go go the latency at times has made the service painful to use,

Reminds me of the direct wave service back in the day.

23. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Oh I don't agree there but it could be that after the first hour free they hook you and you're ****ed. It was easy to use and I did stream a Netflix movie. Quality was downgraded though for slower net speed.

24. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I had the same issue w/ UStream. Streaming video on GoGo seems to be a NoNo.

Odd. That was not my experience. I was billed for the Mobile price.