Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbadalucco

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
if you only want a basic note taking machine then it would be fine. im thinking of getting one for uni

My freshman year my bag felt like it weighed 60lbs with all my books...imagine if they could all be replaced with a 1.5lb iPad.

jedivulcan

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
My freshman year my bag felt like it weighed 60lbs with all my books...imagine if they could all be replaced with a 1.5lb iPad.

I never carry books, only my 13" MacBook Pro, pen/pencil and paper.

15" MBP for the desk or around the apartment.

13" MBP for writing and notes, basic work.

iPhone for calendars, phone calls, and contacts

The iPad would be tempting as a straight up reader but I'm leaning towards the Kindle for that. Prefer reading eBooks off the LED screens of either MBP honestly.

Airforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006

Hell, hauling those bags full of books might be the only exercise a lot of college folks are getting. Lets not take that away from them :p

scuderia997

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2010
Regina, Sask.
Personally I'd rather just use my Macbook in class. More features and I wouldn't have to hold it up with one or two hands making it painfully obvious I'm not paying attention.

I've heard some people make the argument that the iPad will curb the use of textbooks significantly if not completely. Although I'm told McGraw Hill already has a contract with Apple I'm not sure its in the best interest of textbook companies.It would be helpful for the "ctr find" function and lightening the load I carry around but other than that I'm not sure its helpful in class.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
The iPad is absolutely perfect for college students.

Most students I know don't take their laptops with them because they're too heavy or bulky or simply have short battery life. (Yes, even with a nice shiny new MacBook Pro, it's just not always convenient to have a powerhouse computer with you all the time).

The iPad is a great middleground.

sumzero

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2010
Forest Lake, MN
I think that most people that advocate using an iPad for day-to-day college use are more or less just convincing themselves that it's a great idea without devoting serious thought to the issue. For serious work you're better off with a real computer.

Already have an Imac Ipad would be a great addition to my arsenal

Mr D

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007
The general perception of college students and tight budgets aren't as accurate as people use it.

Mac's are still the most expensive computers you can get at any price range yet they're the preferred computer on any campus. The iPhone is a huge hit with the younger generation - and this isn't a budget phone. Even with student discounts - Mac's are not the "budget" choice.

If the iPad proves to be good in class and useful on college campuses - it will sell to college students.

rasputinj

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
I think as long as the more and more textbooks are in Ebook form the iPad will be great for college students. I think in addition to a laptop, the iPad will be great. I am hoping to get one for my wife to use in her PhD classes, in addition to the one I wil be using to surf the web, update spreadsheets, play video games while on the couch watching TV.

I think Apple has great timing and will be able to get a lead on other companies with the iPad. I think version 4.0 will offer more features that most of us want.

JZ Wire

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2003
Miami, FL
Well, ill be soon going to a Univ. and so far ive been using my old powerbook 12''. Even though its small its still heavy so id been looking to find something small and light. I had been thinking about buying a netbook but I cringed at the fact that id have to use Windows. Still, i needed something light and simple I could use to type up some notes, edit papers, check emails, and do some light surfing.

And last year I almost bought one until the tablet rumors get so wild I decided to hold off and wait. After they announced it, im glad to say im happy I waited. The iPad was the thing I had been looking for. Its light and thin, I can take down notes, recored lectures, and with iWork, I can write up and edit school papers. I for sure know ill be getting one. Plus, it saved me from having to use a cheap netbook with Windows and it'll make my pc friends green with envy. ;)

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
No, i need not.

really? how else you going to sycnh and register the thing...

You assume all books will be availiable for it..

I dunno about you, but I like being able to highlight, make notes in the sides and turn pages. I hate reading pdfs on a screen when compared to a real book...buuuut thats me

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
Personally I'd rather just use my Macbook in class. More features and I wouldn't have to hold it up with one or two hands making it painfully obvious I'm not paying attention.

+1
I know if I was a college student, I would mos def go for a 13" MBP.
if money is an issue, then I can understand the step backwards.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
The biggest problems I see with using the iPad for college are the lack of multitasking, and the lack of a windowed environment. For example you're reading a pdf (or ebook) and want to take some notes from that into your paper, you can't just copy and paste from the pdf to the notes and skip back to the pdf/ebook quickly. Equally, you can't have the ebook open on one side of the screen and draft your precis of what you're reading on the other side. Macs are not particularly good at this anyway, but it is likely to be worse for the iPad.

If portability is important, I'd suggest a netbook, with a larger screen in your room to allow for the scenario above.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
I am a college student and I plan on getting one "eventually" because I plan on majoring in english so i will be taking a lot of lit classes and being able to have all my book stored on a device will be nice and there are textbook apps out already i guess.

Would not you be better of with a laptop. With a laptop, you can do all iPad can but the typing is much easier and as English major you'll be doing it a lot :D

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
The biggest problems I see with using the iPad for college are the lack of multitasking, and the lack of a windowed environment. For example you're reading a pdf (or ebook) and want to take some notes from that into your paper, you can't just copy and paste from the pdf to the notes and skip back to the pdf/ebook quickly. Equally, you can't have the ebook open on one side of the screen and draft your precis of what you're reading on the other side. Macs are not particularly good at this anyway, but it is likely to be worse for the iPad.

If portability is important, I'd suggest a netbook, with a larger screen in your room to allow for the scenario above.

Or if you need to submit a paper in MS Word format.

seedster2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
NYC
oh yea, if you have a comp already go for it

from my experience, i never once brought my laptop to class, only to a library on a blue moon

I think that most people that advocate using an iPad for day-to-day college use are more or less just convincing themselves that it's a great idea without devoting serious thought to the issue. For serious work you're better off with a real computer.

Agreed. I think the iPad is too limited to use as your only computer.

One would be insane to try and use an iPad as their only computer in college.

How will you multitask with it? how will you update the software without a companion computer? How will you run proprietary programs you may need? are you even certain your textbooks will available electronically?

Stop trying to convince yourself you need something and think practically.

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
^ I don't think anyone said they wanted an iPad as their only computer. I think it's safe to say that almost everyone has more than one computer these days (i.e. a desktop and a mobile platform of some sorts). The iPad would be great as something that is complementary to a desktop computer, especially for those students who only need it on an ad-hoc basis during or between classes. Put it this way, in my case I don't need a computer in class - so a notebook in that setting is overkill. Conversely, an iPad would be fairly practical (as it executes basic functions like browsing and email quite effectively), and especially since it might allow me to carry digital copies of my textbooks.

laserfox

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
new york
I am in college and the ipad is pretty much useless for computing.

1. I am a computer Science major
Need a laptop period for programming

2. Notetaking in other classes
Professors who use the ink projecter do so quickly, I find myself typing really quickly. Can't see my self doing that as quickly from the ipad. NO COLLEGE STUDENT WOULD LOG THAT KEYBOARD ATTACHMENT TO CLASS. Defeats the whole purpose of portability, plus they'd feel silly.

3. NO usb option for quick printing, sharing data etc when not around a wifi connection. (buy add on increases the price and defeats the whole college budget)

4. You can't annotate notes on pdf etc using a stylus, or sketch quick diagrams/formulas.

5. No multi tasking. God forbid you need to look up a meaning of a word, use the calculator, etc with pages open. Not to mention you can't email your professor pages format in the first place.

6. DISTRACTION
apps galore, music and games. Facebook app eye candy and naturally the stares of other students.

There are more cons than pros. Get a netbook. Many college students use this as their only computer and guess what it works. Its inexpensive, light, portable and has long battery life. The newer models are even better.

WytRaven

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2009
Orbiting Mercury

Professors who use the ink projecter do so quickly, I find myself typing really quickly. Can't see my self doing that as quickly from the ipad. NO COLLEGE STUDENT WOULD LOG THAT KEYBOARD ATTACHMENT TO CLASS. Defeats the whole purpose of portability, plus they'd feel silly.

3. NO usb option for quick printing, sharing data etc when not around a wifi connection. (buy add on increases the price and defeats the whole college budget)

4. You can't annotate notes on pdf etc using a stylus, or sketch quick diagrams/formulas.

5. No multi tasking. God forbid you need to look up a meaning of a word, use the calculator, etc with pages open. Not to mention you can't email your professor pages format in the first place.

That is an awful lot of assumption stated as fact.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

Well obviously! Most people aren't programmers though.

I see people getting faster with it over time. Most of my classes the notes are just supplement to the slides provided on blackboard, so I don't find myself scrambling to take notes as fast as possible most of the time. I wouldn't mind bringing the keyboard attachment to class just in case.

Bonjour is really good at connecting to printers over WIFI. What college doesn't have WIFI available in commons areas where there are printers? I also tend to believe that it will be simple for people to connect their iPad to a computer with the usb cable and open their files from finder / explorer. It will most likely mount like a flash drive.

Pogo stylus for iPhone will work with this device. Plus the App Store? I'm sure there will be tons of apps that can do cool stuff like this. Just give it a few months.

Ummm...the way the iPhone OS guidelines are setup is such that an app auto saves the file and state the user was in when they exit an app with the home button. So you just hit the home button in Pages, pop open Safari and look something up, then go back to Pages within a few seconds and it loads up where you left off. What's the bother here? It's not like we're rendering out videos in Final Cut Pro while playing WoW. That's not the purpose of this device.

6. DISTRACTION
apps galore, music and games. Facebook app eye candy and naturally the stares of other students.

So if what you're saying is that a netbook can do more (like multitasking) then wouldn't it be more distracting? It seems like if you're in Pages and it's *so hard* to go open Facebook then you'd be more likely to focus on what you're doing in Pages since it has your complete attention?

There are more cons than pros. Get a netbook. Many college students use this as their only computer and guess what it works. Its inexpensive, light, portable and has long battery life. The newer models are even better.

Yeah but a lot of the students here are saying they already have a laptop or iMac, including myself. I'm buying the iPad to supplement because it's super portable, will store my books, will let me take notes, and will keep me organized in general. Plus it will be great to have as a digital picture frame on the coffee table during the day and easy to grab and browse while on the couch in the evening without having to squint at my iPhone screen. I believe the iPad will be a great shared experience for me and my wife, with her using it a lot when I'm not at school since her piece of crap Dell died recently after 2 years. I still have my MBP to do all my graphic production stuff on. It's not a big deal, and if I need to bring my MBP to school for certain occasions then I will. But the core of what you seem to not understand is that this is a tool that many people will find valuable because of it's ease of use and portability. It's a great supplement to our digital lifestyle and can only make things easier when taken into context with our iPhones and Macbooks. I'm all for anything that helps me out!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.