iPad got wet, not OK, what action now?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cheeryble, Apr 22, 2015.

1. cheeryble macrumors regular

Hi there

Nearly a week ago wife's Mum brought the iPad home a bit wet.
    She had had it in a bag and a bottle of water had leaked......ie nowhere near total immersion but I had to tissue it dry after water was lingering inside the cover.

The screen went crazy with the icons flying left or right at random and so on.
    It would not turn off.

I said we'll just let it dry if possible and see what happens....left it with a fan in the room.

It got a bit better gradually.....much better actually.
    It is now at the stage where it will turn off and all the icons are usable EXCEPT a line from left to right about in the area of the first row of icons as one looks in landscape view.
    (It will flip properly between landscape and portrait).
    Example it will open MAIL as that's not in the top row.
    When one opens MAIL it will then open any mails except what's in that top row area which in this case is the first mail in the list.
    It will open all others normally.

I don't know how these screens work but it seems something has happened to the connectors to the screen so they are dud.
    It does not seem to have continued it's improvement the last couple of days which I presume was thanks to drying out.

Question is:

Anything I can do?

Information: It's getting on it's the top version of the first iPad that came out (so it won't run the latest iOS).
    So basically if there's something pretty easy or cheap to do it may be worth saving it.
    But what would that be?

Tech geeks please inform!

2. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Honestly, unless a longer drying period would help I doubt there's much you can really do. Water is always the enemy of electronics and with tablets and phones you have very tight tolerances so when water penetrates it gets in there pretty good.

Did you check with aple for the helluva it just to see what they have to say? Perhaps a legit repair through them wouldn't be too bad. Maybe they could just replace the glass or something.

3. cheeryble thread starter macrumors regular

thanks Mikey

I'm still hoping for bait more drying as everything is working now EXCEPT the one band right across the screen.
    I've been told to put it in a bag full of rice and that's what i'm going to do today in a warm place try to suck the last bit of damp out.
    If it's screwed it's screwed but may as well try.

4. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

The worst thing you can do is turn on wet electronics, let it dry really well before turning it on.

5. GalFriday macrumors member

Not much you can do. I don't even think Applecare covers water damage. Your wife's mother is going to have to pay for a new iPad to replace the one she ruined.

6. cheeryble thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm you have a point.
    I guess I thought such low voltage wouldn't matter.

7. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

It does actually. I know the first thought is to turn it on and see if it works, but it's typically what kills them. Impurities in the water cause shorts. Not trying to rub salt in the wounds, just for future reference.

8. Esoom macrumors 6502

Esoom

It couldn't hurt to throw it in a bag of rice for a few days, GF dropped mine in the bathtub, put it in a bag of rice for a week (and it acted crazy like yours immediately after the drowning ), and it hasn't missed a beat since then.

9. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

Bathtub...ouch.

10. Esoom macrumors 6502

Esoom

Have been reading about putting wet devices in alcohol, then drying, seems to work, and after immersion, not much to lose...