iPad GPS question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by saltyzoo, Mar 6, 2011.

1. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

Old or new iPad, doesn't matter.

Does the WiFi version have a GPS receiver or do you have to get the 3G version to get true GPS functionality.

2. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

You need the 3G version... but who wants to use a 10 inch screen as a gps.

3. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

You need to get the 3G version. Since way back with the iPhone 3G, the GPS has been built into the 3G chipset itself.

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Someone who doesn't want to carry two devices.

Someone who uses an iPad as a passenger on a bus or train.

Someone who uses an iPad in their airplane as a flight aid.

Doesn't even have to be used as a nav GPS. Could be:

Someone who wants their iPad to give them decent location based search results even if there's no WiFi hotspots around.

5. twotwo11 macrumors member

Me.

6. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Someone who doesn't want to carry two devices? When you have an iPad you will ALWAYS be carrying two devices. Unless you don't have a cell phone, in which case, get with the times.

7. poloponies macrumors 68030

Possibly anyone who's seen GPS on a 10" screen? We've used it abroad in Europe while wandering through unfamiliar cities. Nice to siit in a cafe and be able to plan out your next moves. I also downloaded the Lonely Planet city guides when they were giving them away free during the Iceland volcano eruption. Their maps are GPS-aware, so if you turn to the map pages they show your current location relative to all the points of interest entioned in the guide. If you start thinking of PS as something other than "turn right at the next intersection" there are endless other options for its use.

8. rkheyfets macrumors regular

If you get the 3g version but dont pay for it/activate it will the gps still show your location etc..

Also what if you tether a wifi only ipad will it work then with your location etc.

9. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

yes it will actually, I tried this a few days ago tethering my iPhone 4 to the iPad 1 with mywi, was only 50ft or so off.

10. bengal1022 macrumors newbie

bengal1022

I have Navigon installed on my iPad,and it is a wifi only version, and Navigation/GPS works well on it. But I also have it on my iPhone, and don't find the need tonuse my iPad. But I was on a business trip recently and was in a rented car. The GPS provided by the rental car company (Enterprise), was not working, and I found myself relying on my iPhone, so I can see why one may need ton use a 10" iPad as a GPS in an emergent situation.

Hope this helps.

11. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

Or you can get the apple approved Bad Elf Gps (or the MFI 5870 bluetooth gps) and use that.

(You won't save much money vs getting a 3g ipad, but I find it useful for aviation applications where the built in GPS has issues at high altitude & groundspeed. Others are using them with a 30 pin extension cable for a remote mount antenna solution.)

This may be a better option if you want to use GPS with multiple devices (ipod touch, wifi iPad 1 &2, or first gen iPhones) without a built in GPS.

http://bad-elf.com/products/gps/
    http://www.amazon.com/GNS-5870-MFI-Bluetooth-Receiver/dp/B004289ZW0

12. PatrickCocoa macrumors 6502a

Me?

That would be me.

I didn't purcahse any of the dedicated in-car GPS systems over the past five or ten years. They seemed more trouble than they would be worth. I don't have a GPS in my phone.

When the iPad came out, I had no GPS. I got the iPad 3G (over the Wi-fi only version) so that I could get the internet either at work (no wi-fi there) or on the road. The GPS was a pleasant surprise - I use it for geocaching, and for the very rare "did we take the correct turn" turn longer (1 day or 2 day) road trips.

Regarding your disdain for the 10" screen, I would never use a GPS or the iPad while driving. I only use the iPad GPS in a car if I'm a passenger, or I have my passenger use it. The 10" screen is perfect for maps.

13. saltyzoo thread starter macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

Very cool. Never thought of that one.