iPad GPS

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PCClone, Mar 9, 2011.

1. PCClone macrumors 6502a

I have never used a GPS before, but am tired of printing maps and directions. If I get the 3G iPad, do I need a data plan enabled to use the GPS and mapping software?

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Yes if you use the built in Maps app.

No if you use a navigation app such as Navfree or ZorroGPS that stores the map data to the ipad. That data loads to the ipad in one big chunk when you sync the app to the ipad via itunes. App size is 2-3GB in for US for those two, not sure about others, so factor that into your capacity choice.

3. Preds macrumors member

Don't you need the 3G version that has the GPS chip built-in to have it act like a portable GPS (i.e. a Garmin, Tom Tom, etc)?

Am I correct in assuming that if you buy the iPad 3G versions you essentially have a portable GPS, whether the 36 data is turned on or not?

4. ac4lt, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011

ac4lt macrumors member

ac4lt

That's correct. Only the 3G iPads have a GPS but you don't need the 3G to be turned on to use the GPS.

As someone said earlier, what you'll be able to do with the gps will depend on the way the app is written. If it downloads maps on the fly it won't be much use without 3G. If it has pre-loaded maps then you can use it without the 3G service being active.

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Yes and No,

if you know what town/city your going to be using the GPS then you could download/cache the Maps ahead of time wile on a WiFi connection, and then you can use the GPS to track you just fine.

My sister does this all the time on here iPod touch and I did it on my WiFi iPad (though it does not have GPS, it will however Triangulate your location).

to do this, just go to the Maps application and Zoom in and out through the entire city as much as possible, in doing so the iPhone/iPad/iPod touch will cache the entire map so that you can later get the images to appear wile not having an internet connection

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Zoom in and out as much as possible to get the best details for later use.

6. PCClone thread starter macrumors 6502a

So if I do this for a large area, like a state, would it cache that much area?

7. ac4lt macrumors member

ac4lt

Doubtful, though I haven't tried as I have 3G service. TomTom's iphone app works on the ipad (though you won't be able to get traffic info) and has maps built in. I think Navigon has all it's maps built in also.

Garmin and MotionX both use the download-on-the-fly approach though both allow you to pre-cache maps.

If you are going to be using them regularly out of wifi range then I'd recommend using TomTom or Navigon.

8. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

as noted already, no you don't need cell/3G reception for all apps. however, I would assume if you're getting 3G you'll be using it.

I regularly use GPS Drive by Motion X and consider it one of the best out there. I have Tom Tom as a backup in case I lose cell signal but Motion X can precache most all of your ventures ahead of time if you believe you're going to lose signal along the way. I do this in mountainous areas of PA.