Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScottFitz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2007
Especially since I got my new MacBook Pro 15, the iPad has become the bedside companion, not getting the airplay it once was. I guess I've got NewToy-itis with the new MBP.

And, for short airplane trips, the iPad will still be my go-to.

But, when it comes time to lay down in bed and read a book or do some surfing and emailing, the iPad just can't be beat. Except when I fall asleep using it and it smacks me in the face! :eek:

THFourteen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
London
there was a story in the news this week about how using these sorts of electronic devices just before you go to sleep hampers your sleep pattern.

ZilogZ80

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
there was a story in the news this week about how using these sorts of electronic devices just before you go to sleep hampers your sleep pattern.
and there'll probably be another story next week about how they smooth out your sleep pattern. :)

ScottFitz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2007
It messes with my sleep patterns when it hits me in the face and wakes me up!

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010

Because people leave the backlighting on too high. If you don't, if you keep it on a low setting for the dark room, you have less light than if you had the lamp on to read a paper book. And people have been reading paper books in bed with the lamp on for decades, with no idiotic sweeps news stories about how book reading hampers our sleep patterns.

But because this is a new device, they trot out the usual scare stories that have more to do with light levels than the device itself.

In other words, dim the backlighting and you'll sleep just fine. I've been reading novels on my iPad in bed for almost a year now, every single night. Does not hamper my sleep pattern no matter what a sweeps non-news story claims.

King Luis

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
Because people leave the backlighting on too high. If you don't, if you keep it on a low setting for the dark room, you have less light than if you had the lamp on to read a paper book. And people have been reading paper books in bed with the lamp on for decades, with no idiotic sweeps news stories about how book reading hampers our sleep patterns.

But because this is a new device, they trot out the usual scare stories that have more to do with light levels than the device itself.

In other words, dim the backlighting and you'll sleep just fine. I've been reading novels on my iPad in bed for almost a year now, every single night. Does not hamper my sleep pattern no matter what a sweeps non-news story claims.

this. i usually read some things on my iphone or give my brain a workout with a game before going to bed. but i have a bed side light on and the brightness dimmed down quite a bit.

other factors which i don't think have been taken into account were peoples sleeping patterns before ipad use and anything stressing them out that day can all be factors.

THFourteen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
London
i've also hitmself in the face with my ipad when in bed :)

funny thing though - i cannot dim the backlight enough without using the jailbreak "dimmer" app in order to read in the dark.

ibooks is ok as it lets you do extra dimming.

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
Just a rant...

What annoys me about the iPad and apple is that they sell all these accessories for the product such as an official Apple iPad case and the dock, yet, when the ipad is in the case, you can't put it on the dock.

Such a pain in the ...!

Mattstkc

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2009
Chicago, IL
Just a rant...

What annoys me about the iPad and apple is that they sell all these accessories for the product such as an official Apple iPad case and the dock, yet, when the ipad is in the case, you can't put it on the dock.

Such a pain in the ...!

... because that was necessary

Just a rant...

What annoys me about the iPad 1 and apple is that they sell all these accessories for the product such as an official Apple iPad 1 case and the dock, yet, when the ipad 1 is in the case, you can't put it on the dock.

Such a pain in the ...!
There I fixed that for you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.