iPad has become painfully slow

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Oceanhut, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Oceanhut macrumors newbie

Just as the title says, my iPad 1 has become painfully slow! I bought it about a year ago, and I would say about 6 months in I started to notice a decrease in performance. Now, safari is so sluggish as is the device in general. I have tons of memory left (I know that doesnt really affect RAM)but still. Im constantly doing all the "tricks" to make it faster, but nothing seems to work. I use xsysinfo to clear memory....but nothing seems to make it speed up

I wouldn't say that ios5 has really had a negative effect, it just seems to get slower and slower. My iPhone 4s is WAY fast. I tend to just use that now to browse the internet because its less frustrating.

A coworker with an iPad 1 says he's noticing the same thing. Anyone else?

This concerns me about the longevity of this device.

2. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Have you tried a complete restore?

3. lentini macrumors regular

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's a long thread on apple discussions regarding he performance impact after upgrading to iOS5.

I too have found my iPad 1 to be painfully slow and many apps fail to start when I tap them. I'm trying a complete restore, but so far from what I can see, if you turn off all iCloud type features, this will help a little.

5. rworne macrumors 6502

One thing that I noticed:

Safari got really slow. Start the app, type an URL and it lags....

This all started with iOS5.

What it was:
    iCloud syncing. I do not share the bookmarks between my iPad and computer. This all changed with iCloud and the two sync. My wife's device also syncs and she has a ton of bookmarks. So they all wound up on my device. Typing an URL has auto-completion working like mad. I cleared out the excess bookmarks and turned off bookmark sync and Safari is peppy again.

6. Fissure macrumors 6502

Yep, iPad 1 + iOS 5 = Slooooow

So I bought an iPad 2 = Fast again, faster than iPad 1 pre iOS 5 even.

7. mfor1234 macrumors member

I've definitely noticed a slow-down over the past 6 months, but haven't really seen a related slowdown due to the installation of iOS5.

Mine is relatively full (though shouldn't make too much of a difference) so I may need to do a restore.

Any suggestions for cleaning out things that may be causing the lagginess?

8. macking104 macrumors 6502

macking104

Have you gone into Settings/Reset and "Reset All" and Settings/Safari and cleared cookies/data...?

or do complete retore. My iPad1 hasn't lost any umph with ios5...and I dont miss the checkerboarding!

9. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Great call on the bookmarks. Safari on my brand new iPhone 4S was horrible when typing an address. It would freeze for maybe ten seconds. Couldn't understand why until I read your comment. Big thanks!!

10. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

Is your device jailbroken? If not then just a full restore WITHOUT backup restore. Just install iOS via the Restore button.

I am enjoying iOS 5 on my original iPad and it's very fast. Web sites loading fast, smooth as butter - dare I say it's actually a faster browsing experience than iOS 4.

The gestures working flawlessly, as well. Spotlight searches much more responsive than they were. No noticeable slowdown - it's as fast as it was with iOS 4.

11. Oceanhut thread starter macrumors newbie

What happens with a complete restore? Will I lose all of my apps? Content in pages?

I wish I could say the problem happened with ios5, but like I said...this has been a problem for months. The best way to describe it is like using a laptop that is a few years old....it's just slow, sluggish, lagging.

I've cleared the cookies, cac he, history. I've removed apps I don't use...

Let me know about the full restore, if I don't lose info I will try that

12. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

Full restore equals clean install of Mac os x. So all the app data is being deleted and the system is installed anew in a fresh state.

What you have to do is to plug in the iPad, open iTunes and choose RESTORE from the options screen that appears the first time you plug in the iPad. After that a question appears whether you want to restore from Backup. Click no and a full fresh restore will be executed so that the iPad works like new.

13. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

No just save money and wait till next year. See what apple has for the iPad 3.

14. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

When did a jailbreak for iOS 5 come out? Also, I thought that, on the iPad 1, gestures weren't enabled?

15. Maziar macrumors 6502

when i first installed iOS 5 on my iPad 1,I thought it was faster but after installing my apps, i foundit slower especially in opening apps such as mail and safari.
    Safari loads significantly slower than iOS 4.3.3. and the keyboard has notably more delays in iOS 5.

16. canesalato macrumors 6502a

canesalato

Wow!!! I was just scratching my head on why safari was so slow on my iPad 2 with iOS5!! Rworne you are the man!:) I have a lot of bookmarks and safari bookmarks syncing enabled in iCloud. Disabling that made safari smoother than it was on iOS 4.3. I'd sticky this topic because it could help a lot of people who are having this annoying problem.