iPad haters

Discussion in 'iPad' started by joshmacbosh, Feb 17, 2012.

1. joshmacbosh macrumors member

joshmacbosh

I work with two people, both of 30 years of age (pretty young) but still 7 years my senior. They both have this wild view that the iPad is lame, pointless and brings shame upon our lifestyles. I try to convince them otherwise but I just can't win with these people. They both think that the iPad is bad because it's going to ruin the society we live in.
    "It's just a shame that you don't have to buy books in bookshops any more. Library's will close down, Book shops will close down. One day people wont have to leave the house to do anything" "I'd much rather have a laptop" "What does it even do?" Honestly, these people are deluded. It's frustrating as hell. Does any one else ever meet people so afraid of the everyday advances of technology?

2. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

3. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I agree with the other poster that it is YOU that have the problem. Let people be! Why do you allow others people's preferences disturb you to the point that you would start a thread about this.

Has your education been so polluted with liberal ideas that you do not understand "Freedom of Choice". Worry more about yourself and let others make their own choices.

4. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

I feel for you. It is annoying when more than 2 people gang up on you. Especially if you didn't ask for their opinion! Just bc they don't believe in new technology doesn't mean you having an iPad is ruining society.

I love my iPad and to be honest, I'm probably far more of an analytical, ' do gooder of society' LOL than these people who hate on something new. Plus its just rude, we all have our preferences.

5. JBazz macrumors 6502

I quite enjoy being the outsider so when I was the only one at work with an iPad, I loved it. Smiled like a fool when other people cut it down. Now, there are a lot of them at work. :(

6. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I very much doubt these people are "gaining up" on the OP. Sounds to me like he is trying to convince THEM of the iPad merits and not the other way around.

It is well established that a laptop is way more capable than an iPad. It is personal preference that should decide what device you use.

7. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Ok I re read op and yes, as they stated he simply said - I tried to convince them.

Must have read over it quickly !

8. urkel, Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012

urkel macrumors 68030

When a product is as GLOBALLY successful and desirable as the iPad then pulling this martyr attitude about being oppressed about personal choices just sounds obnoxious. Your coworkers don't believe in a product that you love. Why does that make you feel the need to "convince them" and end up crying in "frustration" and upset that you "can't win with these people"?

Just because they don't blindly love the iPad doesn't mean they are the annoying ones in the conversation.

9. jouster macrumors 65816

You know what else you don't see much of these days? Using flint or quartz-based knives to kill, skin, gut and fillet large animals, which are subsequently cooked over an open fire then eaten by hand. Apparently, goose quill pen and vellum use is down, too, and hardly any cruise line these days is using the trireme design for its vessels! That must be devastating to your acquaintances! The very fabric of society is under threat! I've even heard dangerous speculation from some that there is a heretical new notion involving the Earth's shape and place in the Universe!

How will society cope with these new things?

10. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I really don't understand why anyone would feel the need to defend their choice of electronic devices.:confused:

If you like what you are using (iPhone, iPad, MacBook, etc.), who cares what others think.

It is incomprehensible to me that anyone would feel the need, or even care, about other people's choice of electronics. I must be missing some incredibly important issues which somehow reflect on the user of the devices. My self concept, or value as a human being, is in no way tied to something as ultimately trivial as what computer I use.

11. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

Some people can't leave the house to do much of anything - for them, the online world is one of the most liberating and awesome things about the 21st century. For everyone else, the choice is always there.

12. deeddawg macrumors 604

Very few people respond positively to proselytism unless they're already seeking.

Why would you feel the need to convince others sufficiently that it causes you frustration? Can you not tolerate someone else holding an opinion different from yours?

"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Mark Twain

13. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I see this kind of thing all the time. People will bash the iPad (knowing full well you have one) but if you tell them why you like it, they think your a smug Apple loving jerk, if you bother not telling them why you like it they thing your an "iSheep" that blindly follows Apple because its Apple.

The best is ignore them and watch them struggle to use their whatever tablets.

14. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

stop trying to spin this off as that they apple haters. it sounds like they're just not big on embracing ebooks and prefer a laptop over a tablet. i don't see this is anything mroe than that.

and like the others said, even if they were anti-apple, so what? last time i checked, society was not the Borg.

15. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

Why do you use your iPad?

Yes, the iPad can make people less social, less going out of the house, less dependent on conventional bookstores…
    However, Since having an iPad, I read more news, magazines, books-albeit online/electronic versions.
    I use it to edit photos, store recipes, let my son learn his letters, alphabet songs, shapes, working on his numbers.
    I like media but since owning the iPad watch a bit less TV. Now, my focus is more on the iPad but I am reading more stories from NatGeo, USA Today, on politics, sports, design, photography. I am sharing more of these stories/articles on Facebook for others to read them.

Now as far as buying books, music, movies on the iPad versus the "real" thing in a brick and mortar store, I do buy things at a Store, though oftentimes through Amazon as well since they are cheaper for the same thing. I like going to a book store, flipping through books/mags that you cannot really do via the iPad. I like to pick up Cds and movies at stores as it is a tangible thing.

As far as having a laptop…sure you can do more with that but we've used our laptop maybe 5% since we've had the iPad. We use the iPhones, iPad and iMac and rarely touch the Laptop anymore.

But, I would explain what you use it for, and how it has "changed your life" maybe not a super huge change but a change none-the-less.
    If they own an MP3 player they are hurting audiophiles with their compress music.

16. urkel macrumors 68030

Why do you always assume that people who don't use apple products are struggling?

17. deeddawg macrumors 604

Seriously, how did anyone possibly survive before April 3, 2010? It must have been like living in the dark ages...

Before Al Gore invented the Internet we all lived in caves and used smoke signal to communicate. :)

18. saberahul macrumors 68040

Do you convince people on what type of underwear you wear? It is your device, your life, your decision. Be happy with yourself. What others think and do is hardly your concern.

19. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Your right, I mixed this post up with another post. I still stand by the fact that what I said generally happens. I get it literally daily at work and even at home.

I also have no problem if someone is "anti-apple", but I have a problem when they bring it to my attention and criticize me for using it. I'm far from the only one who experiences this too as there are many many threads about it.

Always assume is a strong assumption after one post ;)

The "struggling" I am referring to is based on pure observation from Android tablet owners, as well as the users at work who opted to use an Android tablet for in house apps verses and iPad for in house apps. Users with Android tablets account for 96% of mobile device tickets where I work, and that includes all phones and tablets. Android tablets are not as smooth or intuitive as an iPad. I know, I have two of them and an iPad.

I don't want to derail this thread anymore than I already did so I'll shut up now.

20. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Just joke about it. Yes, it's totally destorying society by not killing trees and using dead tree pulp to make books.

21. jekyl macrumors 6502

jekyl

I can see the problems that come from associating with Apple haters. 7 years ago I bought my first laptop, an eMachines. Two years ago I got rid of that piece of junk and bought a Macbook Pro. If I'd been hanging around Apple fanboys and not Apple haters I would have bought a Macbook 7 years ago and experienced 5 years of bliss instead of 5 years of pain. At approximately the same time I bought an MP3 player. I wanted an iPod, but those around me told me to "buy ANYTHING but Apple!". I bought a Creative Zen, and hated it. I've since bought an iPod Classic 80 and recently an iPod Touch Gen4 32gig and love them both. Apple haters are dangerous and need to be controlled! The happiness of humanity is at risk!

22. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

There is something fundamentally wrong with "a hater".