iPad HD

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Patriot24, Jul 7, 2011.

1. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

Nice find! The iPad HD makes complete sense to me. Wonder if it will start at a higher price point or they'll lower iPad 2 pricing. I hope iPhone 5 doesn't look like that fugly wedge shape though.

2. Patriot24 thread starter macrumors 68030

Patriot24

I think there are two possibilities:
    • It is smaller (maybe 7") and costs about the same as current iPad models
    • It is the same size as current iPads and is more expensive

I can't see it costing more and being smaller, or being the same size and similar price to current models. As they said in the article, "think Macbook and Macbook Pro". They have to make sure it makes sense in the line, not complicate it.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

4. Cosmo Kramer macrumors member

sounds awesome, I will sell my ipad 2 when this comes out

5. youngplaya0228 macrumors regular

Time to get my eBay account ready! Not interested in the new iPhone, but if the iPad HD is exactly the same as the iPad 2 with a better resolution (and is jailbreakable come release), then it's MINE. Hope they don't make the screen smaller or something though.

6. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

Apple has already said they will be patching the jailbreakme PDF exploit in the next release so it'll be closed soon enough. The Dev Team has been slower and slower to release updated jailbreaks for new iOS and hardware releases too so I wouldn't count on being able to jailbreak right away, especially if Apple makes any hardware changes to the new units.

Having said that, I don't foresee an iPad HD coming soon. Current iPad 2 sales are rocking so they have no reason to release an updated model at this point when they can just hold that update for the next release some time next year as their current iPad to iPad 2 cycle went.

7. chriseff macrumors newbie

chriseff

Damn than iphone is uuuuugly... i hope its nothing like that :eek:

8. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I REALLY want a 13" iPad with the double resolution screen. I would buy that product.

9. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

10. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

Meh, I just put my iPad 2 on craigslist. Hope this doesn't kill my already low asking price.

That said, I think it is a good idea :)

11. solowmodel macrumors 6502

An iPad 2 with double the resolution...I would buy immediately.

I wonder how much it'd cost though..

12. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

LOL

Do you *really* think they'd make the screen smaller while doubling the resolution?

13. gadget123 macrumors 68000

If the rumours are true I don't see the point.

iPad 3 could be a proper update with retina and better cameras.

To release a pro is pointless.

14. poloponies macrumors 68030

As has been discussed numerous times it is highly unlikely that next year's iPad update will have a high-resolution display and still maintain current price points. It will come, but not in 2012. Having said that, if this rumor turns out to be true (pretty doubtful) an "iPad HD" will be very pricey.

15. Robbo-92 macrumors newbie

I will be happy enough with my iPad 2 when it finally arrives :)

16. akm3 macrumors 68020

17. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

It must be pointed out that this comes from Josh Topolsky who, while a pretty good blogger, has a terrible recent track record when it comes to Apple. This is the same guy who went out on ice so thin you could read through it with the 'no iCloud web access to e-mails' story, got angry when people questioned the story (and claimed it was a 'what if' tale when clearly that wasn't the intention) and then got REALLY defensive when proven wrong. Same pattern with the rumours of the iPad 2 last January which were so far off as to be almost laughable.

Not saying that this couldn't be true but a large helping of salt is required with this one. As for an iPad HD... I dunno, I still struggle to believe Apple would launch a retina display on the iPad with the A5. Just doesn't seem like it'd have enough power to run that display and also deliver Apple's prefered user experience, especially with Pro level applications.

Now could I see the iPad 3 getting a HD option with the A6 SOC? Yeah, that might make sense. But in September? Sorry but that strikes me as unlikely.

18. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

WSJ said yesterday that the HD iPad is most likely coming this Fall. No other difference than the resolution at a premium price for those that need it...photo/video editing, etc. Trying to get it as a functional tool versus the image of an expensive "toy" that it has today...although, I use mine for a lot of my work now.

19. poloponies macrumors 68030

The WSJ reported the same rumor that everyone else is discussing. Total misinformation if there's "no other difference" because higher res graphics requires a GPU to run it and a battery to ensure that the useful time between charges doesn't drop. That said, it's a weak rumor and unlikely.

20. mcarthon macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

There's no sign of apple producing a high amount of high quality screens anywhere so I'd say very unlikely.

21. interwebs macrumors member

I find this only moderately plausible for a higher priced, limited volume device. To really maintain the same user experience broadly as the ipad2 they'd probably need the Cortex-A15 on the CPU side (and maybe move to the next node on litho) and possibly the next gen PVR part as well, which I'd be surprised to see before 2012. Coupled with the difficulties in obtaining sufficient production of the requisite panel and this as the mainstream model seems unlikely both due to production costs and limited capacity to source parts.

22. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

Whoa there fellah, your using rational logic here on macrumors. That just doesn't jive with the lack of common sense trolling these forums :rolleyes:

23. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

Numbers are showing that iPad 2 supplies are higher than ever. Not looking good for an introduction of a new one unless you're talking 6 months from now (normal refresh time).

24. OSMac macrumors 65816

Interesting ... whats the source?

I have noticed in Bestbuy a large supply on hand whereas in the past the case was almost empty, but thats just one store be interested to read other reports of this.

Is tablet fever fading?