Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

BornAgainMac said:
I wonder if Target will be like Best Buy. Yesterday I noticed Best Buy still had the old iPods on display.

Best buy shoppers are suckers anyway, so why not sell them an old iPod? :)

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Best buy shoppers are suckers anyway

Do you treat your patients with the same derision?

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
What's not to like?

Really, what is wrong with it?

Take my area. Our Best Buy is too small to sell Macs (except at Christmas?), we are an hour plus from 3 Apple stores, but Target is a golf cart ride away from shopping for 60k retired folks, and a short drive for 40k plus more of us.

Easy product access......

And, think they aren't the target market? The only person in my town to comment on my iPad was a nice retired lady who said she loved hers. For reading.

Sell that iPad along side those kindles.... Upsell!

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
Really, what is wrong with it?

Take my area. Are Best Buy is too small to sell Macs (except at Christmas?), we are an hour plus from 3 Apple stores, but Target is a golf cart ride away from shopping for 60k retired folks, and a short drive for 40k plus more of us.

Easy product access......

And, think they aren't the target market? The only person in my town to comment on my iPad was a nice retired lady who said she loved hers. For reading.

Sell that iPad along side those kindles.... Upsell!

Amen, Tracey. Well said!

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
I am sure the brilliantly trained sales staff at Target will have all the skills and knowledge to help users make an informed purchase. Perhaps this will help move some of the massive overstock Apple has.

As opposed to Best Buy?The guy there told me:
A)He was going to"pop open"his wifi iPad and "slap a camera in there"
B)The as yet unreleased 3G iPad WOULD DEFINITELY have a camera and nobody knew it yet.
C)You could do anything with an iPad that you could do with a laptop.

This was after the wifi was released and before my preordered 3G came in.

I've been meaning to stop by and ask him how to activate my camera.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
Anyone know what resellers (like Target) would buy the iPads for? They have to make a profit but resellers have to sell at Apples prices...

But they buy from Apple for less!As Steve Martin said in "The Jerk"

"So...it's a Profit deal!"

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
Having the iPad at more stores is a good thing, but one has to wonder what it means in terms of sale numbers.

This far we know that Apple sold 3.2 million units, and that it ships within 24 hour from the Apple store – so it's either not selling this well, or production is simply outperforming the product sales. Which in the end also means, well sort of, that it isn't selling that well after all. At least not as well as the iPhone 4. So was my contact at LG right all the time?

This may be as well explain why Apple didn't give out yet another PR kick-to-the-teeth to its competitors: "We've sold over 5/10 million of iPads in...". It surely is cocky enough to do so, but yeah. Maybe this shows it. Making it possible for Apple to add another store chain, just to get rid of the pile of stocked iPad's.

I as stock holder hope to be wrong. And I will gladly eat my words, but the facts ain't lying to me. Nope.

Steve said it himself; There are over 230.000 iOS devices activated per day. Which makes 6.9 million units per month. Don't get me wrong here, because that is a great number, but there are a number of indicators that one of the [other] iOS devices isn't selling that well, anymore.

Also. Let's not forget that the iPad is now available in many more countries, and thus even if Apple sold 3.2 million iPads'... it was in need of all the extra countries to do so. It was unable to do so with the US stores only!

We've also learned that Foxconn produced at least 3.3 million iPhone's last month – assuming they had a 5 day week, which may as well be 6 days to get the product out of the door quicker – and thus that leaves 3.6 million iOS unit activations for all other iDevice. The question remains if the iPad is eating into the iPod touch sales, or not. This may be true, but we'll find out soon enough... when Steve shows up on stage again.

So..any Apple product that ships in 24 hours is selling badly?How about they have ramped up production to match demand?

You don't really expect 10%of the US population to buy iPads,do you?Of course international sales contributed to the 3.2 million,that not a bad thing.

As a stockholder I'd LOVE to have the iPad eat into Touch sales,it's it's a higher margin product!But I doubt it is doing so.The iPad is selling beyond anyone's expectations.It's a product that didn't exist just months ago.ANY contribution to Apple's bottom like I consider gravy.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
I'm not sure why Target would begin selling the iPad on October 3. What's special about that date? Would we see refreshed models at that time? It seems odd that a big retailer would begin selling a product just before it's about to be outdated. Maybe there really is an overstock.

I think you are over-thinking this.Probably the earliest date they could get them from Apple based on production volume.
Just before it's outdated?October,November,December January,February,March...I wouldn't call that "just before"-unless you believe Apple is going to release a huge revision after 6 months,which I don't.
And let's say new ones come out on November,so what?Target gets the new ones like everybody else.
I suspect if the smaller one is coming soon rumors of it are getting garbled to indicate new original size ones,it's happened before.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
To me, the date is really odd. The ios4 update won't happen until Nov. Would Apple really have a big store sell these a month before that?

If the iPad isn't selling as well as projected, in the next iPad upgrade, they will probably add some great features. Apple is committed to making the iPad a success.

Sure.Why not?

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
I'm not sure why Target would begin selling the iPad on October 3. What's special about that date? Would we see refreshed models at that time? It seems odd that a big retailer would begin selling a product just before it's about to be outdated. Maybe there really is an overstock.
There's probably nothing special about that date unless someone who works at Target knows of some large prior shipment or scheduled debut (e.g., holiday sales inventory are usually embargoed).

It would be unlikely to see refreshed iPad models at that time, seeing as how the iPad's international rollout isn't even complete.

It would not be odd to see the iPad go to a third-party retailer if it were the current model. Don't know why you're fixated on the thought of a newer device.

No overstock. Apple doesn't even have 30-day inventory. Most international markets where the iPad has shipped still have long wait times.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I am sure the brilliantly trained sales staff at Target will have all the skills and knowledge to help users make an informed purchase. Perhaps this will help move some of the massive overstock Apple has.

It's a frigging iPad. All the specs are readily available. How much brilliance & training does one need to sell an iPad? Seriously, the snobbery around here when it comes to your precious Apple products being sold in big box stores is ridiculous.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Having the iPad at more stores is a good thing, but one has to wonder what it means in terms of sale numbers.

This far we know that Apple sold 3.2 million units, and that it ships within 24 hour from the Apple store – so it's either not selling this well, or production is simply outperforming the product sales.
It ships within 24 hours to U.S. Apple Store customers. Not international.

There is a long wait for iPads in the international markets where the iPad has debuted. The international rollout is not yet complete.

I really wish people would open up their eyes and realize that there is a world outside of the United States of America. It's really embarrassing that many people here only seem to recognize that there is an entire world when the Olympics or World Cup are on TV.

Anyone know what resellers (like Target) would buy the iPads for? They have to make a profit but resellers have to sell at Apples prices...
The $600 retail iPad probably wholesales for about $400-450. Indeed, Apple probably sets a minimum retail price, but many retailers probably sell at the full suggested retail price as there is no sense in offering much of a discount. They're going to sell every unit they get so why leave money on the table?

ccashman92

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010

I work at Target and we get lower prices for corp. buying bulk.

I just wanted to throw this out there... You can add products to the PDA at target. I can go look the next time I work. I'll search the DCPI which will tell us if this is real.

Master Chief

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
So..any Apple product that ships in 24 hours is selling badly?How about they have ramped up production to match demand?
Sure, and that is why I said: "...it's either not selling this well, or production is simply outperforming the product sales".

Now note my use of "not selling this well" because I keep reading these silly predictions. Which are mostly limited to US sales, and I want people [here] to recognize international sale numbers, because they are mighty important to Apple. Especially when you look at the amazing growth rates in certain countries.

Yeah. I didn't made that clear enough. My mistake. Sorry.

You don't really expect 10%of the US population to buy iPads,do you?Of course international sales contributed to the 3.2 million,that not a bad thing.
No. Not really. I do hope however that the next keynote blows my mind. That would make my day. Like I said: I gladly eat my words.

As a stockholder I'd LOVE to have the iPad eat into Touch sales,it's it's a higher margin product!But I doubt it is doing so.The iPad is selling beyond anyone's expectations.It's a product that didn't exist just months ago.ANY contribution to Apple's bottom like I consider gravy.
Oh sure. Don't get me wrong. The iPad is a great device and it is selling like hot potatoes, but the iPhone is an even bigger hit. Don't you agree?

And again: if we have to believe the predictions... then Apple wouldn't have enough devices left to be activated. There's a pretty simple solution to it, and that is that this 230.000 activations per day is not the actual figure. Might be much much more already. I just hope so.

Master Chief

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
It ships within 24 hours to U.S. Apple Store customers. Not international.
But I happen to have checked the following international stores:

http://store.apple.com/nl/browse/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad?mco=OTY2ODA0NQ
http://store.apple.com/de/browse/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad?mco=OTY2ODA0NQ
http://store.apple.com/it/browse/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad?mco=OTY2ODA0NQ
http://store.apple.com/es/browse/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad?mco=OTY2ODA0NQ
http://store.apple.com/fr/browse/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad?mco=OTY2ODA0NQ
http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad?mco=OTY2ODA0NQ
http://store.apple.com/au/browse/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad?mco=OTY2ODA0NQ

Edit:
http://store.apple.com/mx/browse/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad?mco=OTY2ODA0NQ
http://store.apple.com/ch-de/browse/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad?mco=OTY2ODA0NQ
http://store.apple.com/ch-fr/browse/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad?mco=OTY2ODA0NQ
http://store.apple.com/nz/browse/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad?mco=OTY2ODA0NQ
http://store.apple.com/at/browse/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad?mco=OTY2ODA0NQ
http://store.apple.com/sg/browse/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad?mco=OTY2ODA0NQ

All 24-hour deliveries. Be my guest and check other stores yourself – you probably won't even have to as people clue me in [thanks for that BTW].

These are the only countries – that I'm aware of [at this moment] – where the iPad doesn't ship in 24 hours:

Luxembourg: 8 days
http://store.apple.com/lu/browse/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad?mco=OTY2ODA0NQ

HongKong: 7-10 business days
http://store.apple.com/hk/browse/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad?mco=OTY2ODA0NQ

There is a long wait for iPads in the international markets where the iPad has debuted. The international rollout is not yet complete.
Sure. I am aware of that. And there's good news because the people in China will get it the 17th, but for WiFi models only.

I really wish people would open up their eyes and realize that there is a world outside of the United States of America. It's really embarrassing that many people here only seem to recognize that there is an entire world when the Olympics or World Cup are on TV.
I couldn't agree more. After all... I keep hammering about it :D

longball11

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2009

It's not even the same price as the iPad- the image shows $599.99, the iPad, as is typical with Apple products, is $599 flat. Just don't say it's six hundred dollars.

Um. Target has other Apple products and they have the .99 cents added onto them including the new iPods.

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
As I recall, the store I used to work at said they were loosing money when the employee discount was applied to iPods - around 3rd Gen nanos - can't recall if they meant regular (10%) or double (20%) though.
So does this mean Target will actually have something worth while to buy now?
Hey! They've always had legos!

cfitz7111

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
I will look up the number tonight at work, there is a second computer system, that will show other things.

The blacked out box makes no sense, since employee number or store number is not located in that box, it is the item description.

Also if Target was to sell them, the 9 digit item number at the top, 3 digits-2 digits-4 digits, the different versions would be the next or previous number in the sequence.

keech97

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2010
I also work at Target in the electronics department, and this is something we have been anticipating for sometime now (then again, we have been really wanting to sell ipads, so maybe we were just hopeful, but this story seems to connect well with our information). A few reasons:

Our store manager said he saw an ipad display at a recent corporate 'holiday preview' conference in Minnesota (Target HQ).

Our investigator from our security team said he has received the secure lockup information for ipads.

Oct 3 is our electronics holiday reset date, where multiple things move around in the department, get phased out or receive new items. I just read the information, and one phrase stuck out. While not naming any new specific product, under the 'items now in locked cases' was listed 'new apple products'. While this could have referred to the new ipods, it doesn't make sense, because those are now already displayed in a locked case.

In the next 2 weeks most stores will be receiving a new Mobile phone kiosk (powered by Radio Shack) in their electronics department, which will sell contract phones from sprint, nextel, t-mobile and At&t, and we have confirmation that we will be carrying iPhones in store for the first time. So why not carry the 3g enabled ipads as well?

Last, our exclusive deal with amazon to sell the Kindle in a retail store for the first time just expired, as Staples now sell them and best buy will be getting them soon, which could just open another door for a competing product (ex. iPad or Nook)

Just a few extra examples why I would tend to believe this report to be true, I can only hope it is, we get asked for iPads and accessories on a daily basis, and it would be great to say we had them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.