Ipad headphone hole thingy not working

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MooetryMoomle, Jan 31, 2014.

1. MooetryMoomle, Jan 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014

MooetryMoomle macrumors newbie

My iPad was fine when I first got it but after a little while, the earbuds stopped working. I tried my earbuds on other devices and they worked fine. I tried other earbuds but they get the same thing. The only thing I could hear was static and sometimes I could hear the correct sounds but they're barely audible. If I turn up the sound to volume 12, I can hear the sounds perfectly, but then there's no point in wearing earbuds because it's too loud and everyone else can hear it. By the way, my iPad is an iPad 4. :confused::confused:

2. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

To start with the most obvious....Have you tried a reboot? Hold power button on top and home button until the Apple appears and let it boot from there

3. MooetryMoomle thread starter macrumors newbie

4. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

Okay, your problem can be either electrical or mechanical. The earphone jack itself is mechanical and other than attempting to clean it there isn't much you can do about it. I've never had much luck trying to clean one but some people say they have done it with cut down q-tips.

I personally would leave that to the last after I had tried everything else. I know you probably don't want to hear it but I would back up to iTunes, load a new IOS then restore from the back-up. If you haven't done it before it is very simple and fixes a myriad of problems. If it is still a problem then you at least know it most likely is a hardware problem.

5. MooetryMoomle thread starter macrumors newbie

Wait, if I do that will the stuff from apps be saved? Or do I have to start over?

6. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

Okay, here is how it is done.

When you open iTunes and plug in the iPad wait until it is recognized and shown in the column on the left (sidebar)
    Click Summary at the top of page
    Check "This computer"
    Click "backup Now"
    After the back-up is complete, on the Summary page next to "check for update"
    Click "restore IPad" this will down load and install a fresh IOS

after that is finished

Click " restore backup"
    This will reload your iPad as you had it.