iPad headphones

Discussion in 'iPad' started by camfunction, Mar 13, 2012.

1. camfunction, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012

camfunction macrumors member

I preordered the "new" iPad last week, and this is my first iPad ever. When I was looking around the Apple site, it didn't look like the iPad was listed as coming with headphones. Every iPhone and iPod I've ever purchased came with the iconic white headphones. Do iPads actually come with headphones, and it is a misprint?

:confused:

EDIT: I appreciate the downvotes for asking a legitimate question.

2. karsal macrumors member

By the unboxing video it seems like it doesn't. It's a bummer, I was hoping it would.

3. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

They do not come with cans. Never did...Any headphones will work worth your newbie though.

4. harry454 macrumors 6502

5. jc3 macrumors newbie

6. camfunction thread starter macrumors member

Wouldn't be so bad if the other pairs I had didn't keep crapping out. I think the pair from my 30gb iPod video still work, but lack the in-line controls. All my other iPod ones just stopped working after a year or so.

The ones from my original and 3gs iPhones both started shocking my ear canal after about a year. So far the 4S ones are still running strong.

I've tried buying other brands of headphones, but so far nothing in the $30 range compares. Maybe I need to be less cheap and buy a nice pair.

7. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

If I'm watching a movie or listening to music on my iPad, I use my Senheisser pro cans....might look a bit silly but sound great!

8. camfunction thread starter macrumors member

I didn't really like any of the cheaper Skullcandy ones. Audio seemed washed out unless I was listening to something with a lot of bass (in which case you can't tell the difference anyways). The apple buds seem to have nice quality in a full range.

9. maclook macrumors 65816

Make sure you get one with iPod controls. Those are key and your only pair might as well have that functionality.

10. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

In my opinion (I own many different headphones from bose to beats to high quality in ear monitors) it is more than worth spending $100 or more on a really nice pair of headphones. Do your research though and find a pair you'll enjoy.

For instance, the Klipsch S4 in ear monitors can be had for around $80. They are a superb quality for the price range and definitely worth the price.

Also, different earbuds are going to sound different. I have a pair of Ibeats ($80) and they are a lot of fun to listen to as well as very stylish. They are heavy on the bass and provide decent clarity at higher volume levels. I also have a pair of ultimate ears triple fi 10 in ear monitors. The sound on those is absolutely beautiful. Decent bass, excellent range, and impeccable clarity on mids and highs. I love those for all kinds of music! My beats studios are actually great for movies though. Watching an action movie with the thumping bass and great tonal definition is awesome to me. Just do research and find out what kind of sound you like (listen to a lot of hip hop, rock, classical) because different headphones have different qualities. Again though, it's more than worth the investment. I recommend staying away from skull candy and Bose though.

If you have any questions or need suggestions, just aka and I'd be glad to help.

11. maclook macrumors 65816

I could be wrong but someone who doesn't own a pair of headphones right now probably doesn't need a $100 pair.
    With that said, fully agree and recommend the Klipsch S4i's. The S5i's are $70 on Amazon right now. Amazing sound, one of the best fitting earbuds, and great customer service.

12. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

I have Beats Pros, but I prefer to just use the built in speaker. lol

13. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I disagree actually. I think that the one time investment of a nice quality pair of headphones is certainly worth it. Spud and audio is one of the most major parts of a media experience to me.

Allow me to share a parabol to illustrate my point. My mom had spent about $700 on a high end windows laptop (windows vista). A far cry from both the price and build quality of a MacBook pro. However, like all windows machines in my experience, it slowed down after a year and almost completely crapped out after two. Enter the Mac. The Mac, while priced initially is a more expensive investment, they are notorious for exceptional build quality, durability, and standing the test of time. They are very long term machines. They end up being less expensive to a certain degree because of longevity. Not to mention the customer experience is significantly better, though some may argue against that. Hence, my mom bought an iMac (then an iPad, then an iPhone, then every product apple makes).

Translation: while you may not feel it is necessary right now to spend $100 bucks on headphones, once you do (for a high quality pair), the overall experience will be significantly better, generally have longer longevity (buy 3 pairs of $30 over two years or one $100 pair???). Once you do buy the $100 pair, you will almost certainly never want to go back. The problem is getting addicted to quality headphones from there.......just don't do that.......or do and thank your ears, but curse your wallet.......

14. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

Take my advice decide if you want bluetooth or wired more. Then go on headfi and do your own reserach and try on as many as possible.

15. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

Thank you buildbright. Head fi is the Mecca of all things headphones. Want to find the best pair of headphones for $62?!?! Head-fi has the answer. How about $82?!?? Could be a different answer and Head fi has that answer.

16. camfunction thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I may check out the Klipsch S4's and S5's.