ipad holidays shopping, downgrade?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by TheGenerous, Nov 18, 2010.

1. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

I have a jailbroken ipad and wish to give one on christmas (jailbroken).

Right now, I'm waiting until december for purchasing.
    I'm not sure what iOS version it will have, and if it's jailbreakable.

I got on a site this file presumably for recovery,
    Code:
    iPad1,1_3.2_7B367_Restore.ipsw
    Does that means I get whatever version on the ipad, then run the restore with this file, and then I'll be able to jalbreak the old fashioned way?

purchasing now is not an option yet

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

No. Apple signs a certificate for each firmware. This certificate is tied to a device's UDID. In order to downgrade, you need a certificate (called SHSH) for each firmware for each device. So if you buy an iPad and it comes with 4.2, you can't downgrade to older firmware, because you don't have an SHSH for that iPad for earlier firmware. However, hopefully by Christmas, a jailbreak will be out for 4.2.

3. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

4.2 is already jailbroken. Cydia has not been released for 4.2(.1) yet. Once 4.2.1 is public saurik will release it.

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

There is not way to tell you, if we new the future like that, I would be rich by now. We don't know what OS would be out by the time you get your iPad, we also don't know that would be the Final Jailbreaking process for that iOS version. We know that Saurik decided to start saving the SHSH for the 4.2b3, which point that the final Untethered jailbreak may involve downgrading to this beta, JB and them upgrade. If that is the case (or anything that involve downgrading) you will be out of luck, since you will need to have your SHSH blobs saved, and if you don't get the iPad before Apple stop signing those current SHSH, you won't be able to do it.

Now at this point all this is just speculation. No way to know for sure.