IPad home button doesn't always work?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mikewired, Jun 8, 2010.

1. mikewired macrumors member

Anyone have an issue with the home button not always working? When I think there is something wrong it works perfect for a while then I notice it again.

2. coelacanth macrumors 6502

What you just described never happened to mine. Probably you wanna take it to apple store if you've got one near you.

3. Inked macrumors regular

Did you manage to get this resolved?

I have noticed that mine doesn't always work either.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

It's suppose to always work. Exchange or repair it if you didn't mod the software or damage it

5. Inked macrumors regular

Suppose I'll have to, at some point I may actually get lucky and get one without a fault!

6. spiralynth macrumors regular

Mine works every single time. Especially works exceptionally well when I'm engulfed in exceptionally engulfing landscape apps like X-Plane or NFSS or Netflix, often leaving me exceptionally irritated to bits.

Future state OS must provide a way to preferentially disable the Home button in order to avoid accidental hits.

7. mikewired thread starter macrumors member

Exchanged it today. Best Buy was great, I have had the unit for 24 days, and they exchanged it with no issues.

8. Inked macrumors regular

Cheers, hopefully the Apple store will do the same

9. Inked macrumors regular

As usual, Apple store were fantastic, exchanged the faulty one this morning, unfortunately, when I got home and synced it I noticed a dead pixel, went straight back to the store without an appointment and they exchanged that one too. :D

10. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

My home button was intermittently not working about a week ago, then it started working again so I thought nothing of it. Now it doesn't work at all. Going to take it in tomorrow. Very annoying.

11. Kalikatka macrumors newbie

Home button malfunction

One of our iPad2s is experiencing intermittent home button unresponsiveness. I found a forum that suggests twisting the iPad, or holding in landscape mode and squeezing the sides with your palms, or pressing hard on either side of the home button, not on the button, helps fix the problem. Some suggest it is related to temperature expansion and advise cooling it down. This is very common and there are many reports of people receiving brand new ones with this issue. Circumstantial evidence points to a minor hardware glitch rather than a software issue. If you can get it to misbehave while Apple is looking they will replace it, however the new one is likely to run into the same problem eventually. Hope this advise helps.

12. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

13. Ourshire macrumors newbie

It worked!

I tried the twisty thingy and pushed on the sides of the home button and now it works! Strange but true! Thanks tons, kalikatka!

14. erawsd macrumors 6502

15. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

<-- Another data point of home button not working periodically.

16. PhilaScott macrumors regular

PhilaScott

+1 ...monitoring frequency. I know it won't misbehave at the Apple Store. ;)

17. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

would you say your home button works exceptionally well?
    what about when engulfed in exceptionally engulfing landscape apps?

18. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

With ios5, the home button may be a moot issue. In fact, my guess is the home button will no longer be a 'button' in the next hardware iteration of iDevices.

19. megsandbytes macrumors member

sometimes it seems you have to press the home button harder, other times it works just fine, not sure why that is but at least now I know it's not just me.

20. edwardbu macrumors newbie

finally figured it out. Once all external connection are terminated, the Home button works as intended. disconnect 3G/wifi/bluetooth ...

I guess as more applications / games load onto internet data feedback, it slows down button response. Something Apple has to deal with in its OS design to give home button priority access.