iPad iPad Home Sharing Help

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MikeM87, Nov 8, 2013.

1. MikeM87 macrumors 6502

MikeM87

Just wondering if anyone can shed any light on a problem I'm currently having.
    I have just purchased an iPad Air and would like to access my brothers iTunes library on the device.

My brothers iMac has home sharing enabled which works flawlessly on an Apple TV which is on the same network as the iMac. I have connected my iPad Air to the same network and have signed into the iTunes Store with my brothers account details and have also enabled home sharing under settings --> videos / music on the iPad.

The videos are displayed on the iPad under videos but when I press play it says loading and then goes back to the summary screen of the film. I understand that these videos are stored within iCloud so they don't have to be downloaded? If I do try do download them I get the following error which I understand is to stop you sharing content between the devices? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

"This device is already associated with an Apple ID" and offers me the option to transfer. I thought I would be able to watch them with home sharing enabled?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks.

2. zaxdude macrumors regular

If your brother's iMac is setup with one Apple ID, and your iPad is set up with a different Apple ID, it's my understanding it won't work.

The devices sharing the content must all be under the same Apple ID, AFAIK.

- david

3. MikeM87 thread starter macrumors 6502

MikeM87

My iPad is logged in with his ID though so surely this should work?

4. zaxdude macrumors regular

The error presented makes it seem like two separate Apple ID's are being used in the process in some way.

I'd verify everything is signed in under the same apple ID's (which you may have done already). If connectivity issues persist, I'd shut down the iMAC and iPad. I'd reboot the iMac and follow it with the iPad.

Also - check http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4557 for some help too.

5. MikeM87 thread starter macrumors 6502

MikeM87

I thought this was because my iPad was originally setup with a different Apple ID

6. zaxdude macrumors regular

Ahhh...that brings a thought.

You may need to disassociate/de-authorize your device from your Apple ID -- which will likely then remove all content you have purchased under that ID from the iPad.

I'm no expert on the home-sharing stuff, so hopefully someone else can chime in and give a suggestion or two that may also help.

7. MikeM87 thread starter macrumors 6502

MikeM87

Thanks I'll give that a try!