iPad Hunt - Question about online order & AppleCare

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cc1013, Mar 16, 2011.

1. cc1013 macrumors member

Quick question for the experts out there.

Yesterday, I placed an order for a white iPad (64gb, wifi) on apple.com. I also ordered a smart case and AppleCare. The current shipping estimate for the iPad is showing April 19th. The smart case and AppleCare already show as shipped.

I'm still searching locally to see if I can find an iPad, but my question is.....if I happen to find one locally and want to cancel the online iPad order, what happens with the AppleCare? Can I apply it to an iPad I physically purchase to the AppleCare I ordered online or do I have to buy a separate AppleCare policy for that and return the first one? I believe that the AppleCare will be automatically registered to the iPad I ordered online assuming that order remains and is actually shipped.

Any and all info would be appreciated!

2. baummer macrumors 6502a

Well it sounds like you bought everything in the same order. So, AppleCare would apply to the product you bundled it with. It's tied to the hardware, not the owner (this is why AppleCare is considered a transferrable extended warranty). I don't think you'll be able to apply it to a locally purchased iPad.