Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gathart

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2009
One of the most deciding arguements for me for buying the iPad is iBook. I never used an ebook thing before. I read about one/two books (novels, non-fiction), several magazines (mainly hobby) and a Saturday/Sunday paper.
Would this be availible in the UK and which UK publishers have signed up? What about magazines? I have tried various newspaper apps on my iPhone but find it very unsatisfactory (bit like headline reading, i prefer to read the full article).
Does anyone know what the current situation is? Is it worth to buy an iPad in the UK when it comes out, or wait a year till the market has settled? What are other UK apple users going to do?

marcopolo007uk

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2009
iBook will be available in the UK, I think at the same time as the US release. However like the Kindle store, the iBook 2 stores (US and UK) will not have the same lineup due to international publishing rights.

The UK iBook will be useable at launch Im sure and hopefull not too far behind our American cousins, so Im going to stump up the cash on launch day as I have a number of none DRM epub books already which Im guessing will be useable on the iPad. (Looking at the new filesystem setup this does look possible)

Im actually holding off buying a subscription for Wired UK as I want the e-version on my iPad instead!

Have you tried the Guardian App on the your iPhone? To me it's the best New App for the UK market, worth the few £ it costs. Im hoping for a iPad version of this app!

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
I haven't heard confirmation that iBooks will be available on launch in the UK. Though it is possible that I missed it. I personally wouldn't bank on it being available at launch, though I would be more than happy to be proven wrong.

gathart

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2009
I wish apple Uk was a bit more forthcoming on what and when iBook will entail

Thanks for your reply!

It just frustrates me that Apple Uk hasn't said anything about the iBook. Also i haven't seen any magazines saying anything about being published on iPad.

Yes I have used the Guardian app, but I find the lay-out bit restrictive: if I use my newstand app I get much more articles in one go.

marcopolo007uk

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2009
I haven't heard confirmation that iBooks will be available on launch in the UK. Though it is possible that I missed it. I personally wouldn't bank on it being available at launch, though I would be more than happy to be proven wrong.

I stand corrected! Just had a little trawl across the net, iBooks availability will be announced at launch for non US stores. So our purchasing choices will be limited at launch, like iTunes Music and Video when they launched. Hope it doesn't take as long to cross the Atlantic as it did then!

elmo151

Jul 3, 2007
NYC
I stand corrected! Just had a little trawl across the net, iBooks availability will be announced at launch for non US stores. So our purchasing choices will be limited at launch, like iTunes Music and Video when they launched. Hope it doesn't take as long to cross the Atlantic as it did then!

of course it will be available. the only question is when. I suspect that book/mag/newspaper negotiations are not currently apples focus and may lag

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.