iPad + iMac Setup?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Lightey, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Lightey macrumors regular

Lately I've been looking to get a new computer, and I've decided that in a few months, I'll be upgrading from my current Mac (MacBook Pro 13" Mid-2010). What I've noticed is that I very rarely disconnect my MBP from my monitor and mainly use my iPad for my mobile tasks and keep the video editing and other desktop tasks on my MBP when I'm at my desk. I was thinking of getting a higher end iMac to replace my MBP and use my iPad as my main mobile device. I'd still have my MBP around for when I did need something with more mobile power, but I'd mainly use the iPad. Does anyone else here have this setup? Any comments or suggestions would be great. :)

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I have a 2008 Macbook and an iPad 1. I use the iPad 1 exclusively for mobile computing. I would still consider a MBP when I replace my Macbook because I like having a self contained main computer I can pick up and take with me if I really want to.

I also have a Mac mini that I run "headless" and log in via my Macbook when I need to. Your idea of an iMac plus iPad can work out just fine but if you're looking for the best "value" and you already own an Apple keyboard and an external monitor the mini offers small size and lower cost.

3. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Since getting my iPad, I stop bringing my MBP on the go. With the Right Apps, the iPad can do most if not all I need it to do. I have since sold my MBP and will be purchasing an iMac. This type of setup seems ideal. I'd like to see what others have to say about this.

4. tips macrumors member

I have a similar setup, iMac and ipad3(about to receive this week). My office work, like coding, home work like iMovie video editing is done on iMac. iPad is just to check emails, watch movie,photos,browse ,games, etc. I feel MBA/MBP is more delicate to use compared to ipad around kids between 2-10!. If I have to write a long email, have to switch to iMac.But when you write a long email, you will tend to gather info from multiple sources, so it makes sense to be on iMac.