Ipad immediate use?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by fishcube, Mar 7, 2011.

1. fishcube macrumors 6502

So, can one use the Ipad right out of the box, before doing any syncing with itunes? I know with the Touch/Nano you have to sync with itunes before using.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Regarding iPad 2, we will find out Friday.

Regarding iOS 4.3 and the first iPad, when I restored my iPad before I sold it, it asked me to "Connect to iTunes", So I'm going to make a guess and say this a computer is still required before you can use your iPad.

3. fishcube thread starter macrumors 6502

Than how do the "apple employees" help set up in store after purchase?

4. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

Well all they really have to do is plug it into any of the computers in the store and that will essentially activate the iPad. Beyond that, it's all up to you.

5. fishcube thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess I'll just bring my netbook with me and connect to itunes! Picking up hubby at airport that night, so will be in town and want to access the Ipad while waiting.

6. class77 macrumors 6502a

class77

I don't know about iPad 2, but I know you had to sync the original iPad before you could use it. I know because my mom didn't have wireless and I had to wait until I got home until I could use it on Christmas

7. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

You really don't have to do that. Every computer in the Apple store has iTunes obviously installed and they're all connected online. You can just open the iPad and use the included USB cable and plug it in anywhere. Just make sure iTunes is open when you do this. It takes all of 20 seconds... :)

8. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

This is not correct. No syncing is required at all. You simply have to connect to iTunes to activate it. That's it.

9. fishcube thread starter macrumors 6502

I will, as I don't have an apple store near me, so will be buying at Target or BB.

Now do I need to be connected to internet when I access itunes to activate ipad?

10. PriceH macrumors member

I love that this "post-pc" device needs a pc to work out of the box. Cut the wires already!!

11. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

You just need to have the latest version of iTunes on your computer, so iTunes 10.2, no internet required.

The process of activating the iPad takes 2-5 seconds, once iTunes recognizes that your iPad has been connect, it will activate automatically. If you want to register your iPad for warranty purposes, then you will need an internet connection (but this can be done at a later time).

12. Kadin, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011

Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

Sorry, I guess I assumed you were going to an Apple store. Yeah you need to be online with iTunes to do this unfortunately. It's going to have you agree to the T&C and attempt to register it. You can bypass this latter part until later.

[EDIT] I could be wrong here, it's been a little while, but I'm almost 100% sure that when you activate the device it connects to the iTunes store to validate and activate it. Again I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure a connection is needed...

13. tonyunreal macrumors regular

tonyunreal

"Post-PC" means PC will eventually become something not that important and won't be carried with you all the time, like an answer machine or a refrigerator, it doesn't mean PCs will disappear all together.

14. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I am glad to see that someone else understood what Steve Jobs meant by that quote.

15. rritterson macrumors 6502

so, if you don't need an internet connection, then why the hello require activation at all? Is it because iOS on the iPhone requires it and they couldn't fully remove the hooks?

16. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

This is my conspiracy theory, but I think this is a way for Apple to make sure that the consumer always has the latest version of iTunes installed on their machines.

Even for people who are going to want to update to iOS 4.3 this week will need iTunes 10.2, iPad 2 won't be compatible with any previous versions of iTunes. This is also the same for people on Macs who want the Mac App Store and FaceTime, you must have Mac OS X 10.6.6 (if your still on Leopard or Tiger, its time to upgrade or get left behind).