iPad Import Questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AeroUK, Mar 13, 2010.

1. AeroUK macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

Does anyone know if a USA iPad will still be covered under warranty if imported to the UK (does Apple provide worldwide warranty).

Also will the 3G version work in the UK or will it be locked to ATT?

Best

Aaron

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

AppleCare is worldwide but because iPad ain't available in UK yet, you have to wait till that until they can actually fix it (they don't have parts yet).

I think it's unlocked because they sell the 3G version through online store and no plan needed if you don't want to.

Remember that you will be hit by custom fees if you import it

3. hoxley macrumors regular

If you buy a US ipad can you buy the Applecare for it in the UK?

4. covertsurfer macrumors 6502a

I'm going to the USA and thinking of getting one however I have been told that the warranty will not be valid in the UK. I would have to buy Applecare. I would also have to get a mains power adapter.

This is all via Live Chat on the online store.

I think that sucks that the warranty is not international

5. hoxley macrumors regular

I am in the same situation.

So if you bought one in america, and bought applecare in UK.
    You would get two year warranty ?

I assume you could still charge using your Mac? I am not even sure what kind of power adapter iPads use.

6. covertsurfer macrumors 6502a

Not sure I assume they meant buy the Applecare in the US.

I should think its probably cheaper anyway.

I thought the iPad comes with interchangeable power adapters though

7. observer macrumors member

I've been told that all Apple warranties are worldwide. After all, people travel. You may have to send it in to Apple, though, you might not be able to hand it in at a local reseller. Still, there's not much that can go wrong with an ipad -- I'd be surprised if you needed to use your warranty.

The charger cord is the same as the sync cord, ipad interface on one end and USB on the other. Any charger that has a USB socket could be used. The charger that comes with US ipads is 120/240 v, so you'd just need the plug adapter. About as easy as it can be.

8. rk505 macrumors newbie

I was also hoping to get an iPad from the US, and a friend will send it over to me. No knowledge on the warranty front, but apple just confirmed to me that the iPad is a sim free purchase, and that it will be functional in the UK, with a UK 3g provider.