iPad in a jeep dashboard (AKA wrangler as a jeep accessory)

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by gerrynjr, Jun 21, 2012.

1. gerrynjr macrumors member

2. al0513 macrumors 6502

Is it removable? If you have a soft top - it will get slashed and iPad stolen. If you have a hard top - it will get broken and iPad stolen. Anyone want to start a pool with me? I call less than 2 weeks.

3. gerrynjr thread starter macrumors member

Of course it is removable... I don't trust people. You can't even tell the jeep as been modified, just a black cover where the iPad/radio would be.

4. radicalDESIGNZ macrumors member

5. b3thomso macrumors member

Thats actually not bad lookin at all. I feel like the jeeps dashboards are kind of bulky so the ipad actually doesnt look huge sitting there.

6. al0513 macrumors 6502

Oh, don't get me wrong, I do like it. Just looking out for you. A soft top is not cheap ... on top of replacing the ipad.

7. gerrynjr thread starter macrumors member

8. hamsup1o macrumors member

9. JSadler macrumors newbie

That's pretty slick. I've never thought of a setup like this. You listed a couple of things you use the pad for. Are there a decent amount of things you can control/do with the pad setup like this?

10. gerrynjr, Jun 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2012

gerrynjr thread starter macrumors member

There sure are. It currently stores the majority of my music library, I have the option of using pandora on the go, and it is my gps. When parked (illegal to do so otherwise) you can also stream any video, with the benefit of using the awesome speaker system in the jeep.

There is a cutout on the back of the dock so that video can be recorded out of the front window. This is an early video, the opening has been recently adjusted so there is less of an obstruction on the left side:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BloGT2Dwy8Y

The second part of this project is an fm radio replacement. I currently do not have an FM radio in the jeep at all. This isn't too much of a a problem, as I rarely listen to it. I would however like to have am and shortwave...
    To fix this, I'm working on a wifi to arduino to fm/am/sw system. The idea is that the arduino will host a web page that can be served to the iPad via wifi. Various button will then be mapped to functions that control the fm chip, like seek up/seek down and band selection.

11. Hustler macrumors 6502

Hustler

12. jmbenesh macrumors newbie

This is legit! Obviously it's removable (it's an iPad, who the hell would keep an iPad in a car?), but that is just pure awesomeness. Congrats man!

13. Iwolf macrumors newbie

Iwolf

14. Mobster1983 macrumors 6502a

That is pretty awesome. Too bad I just sold my Wrangler Unlimited yesterday.

15. ppfd macrumors regular

ppfd

Nice!
    I want to integrate my ipad in my truck soon.

Will that app run OBD diagnostics as well?