iPad in China

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tomato910, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Tomato910 macrumors newbie

I'm looking to buy an iPad but I'm going to China in 2 months and will be there for a year.

I've poked about on Google and seen that the 3G version may be able to work with a Chinese microsim (but nothing conclusive) and the WiFi version in China may work to a different standard?

Does anyone have any information or experience on using an iPad in China?

Thanks

2. kevhui macrumors regular

WiFi is not a problem because it is still the 802.X standard.

For cellular carrier, you need to use China Unicom because it is standard 3G. On the other hand, China Mobile uses a Chinese 3G standard.

3. Tomato910 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your response.

Do you use a 3G iPad in China? What are the data plans and reception like?

4. kevhui macrumors regular

Sorry for replying late.

I know the standards of China because I heard of it as I live in Hong Kong. I have not used it's network

5. kennyli macrumors regular

Welcome to China!

I am using my WiFi iPad in China with a Pocket WiFi router. Because there is no microSIM avaliable in China yet.

The 3G network in China is good, and the cost is about US$12 for 2GB. Good enough for normal use. But you have to consider the following:

1. There is no microSIM in China yet.

2. In China, they have blocked all social networks such as Facebook, Twitter , Youtube and etc.

But, you can get a 3G data plan in Hong Kong from China Unicom (Hong Kong), and they are asking for US$35 / month. You will get unlimited data in Hong Kong and also 2GB data in China. The only different is, you can access ALL social networks in China such as Facebook, Twitter, Youtube and etc. That means, you are not blocked!

6. leons macrumors 6502

No microsim in china, but I assume you could just trim down the full size?

I have successfully used a jb iPhone in china with china mobile, but only could connect to edge. I assume from what was said above if the next time I go to china, if i I get a china unicom sim I will get 3G? If so, does anyone know china unicoms apn?

7. kennyli macrumors regular

Yes, you can always cut the sim card and make it to be microSIM. But after cutting it, you can't use it in any other devices, such as your iPhone.

The APN for China Unicom is either "3gnet" or "uninet". But old sim cards seems not working with these APN and you have to upgrade to 3G sim cards.

BTW, China Mobile is not same as China Unicom ;)

8. tinfai macrumors member

I'll second Kenny's useful information. While visiting my cousin in Shanghai less than two weeks ago, we compared ipads. Mine is wifi only. Hers has a prepaid 3G data sim card from China Unicom. Her std-sized sim card was purchased at one of the local Unicom shops and trimmed to size. I don't exactly remember the pricing for the data usage, but i do remember thinking at the time when i was told what it is that it was substantially cheaper than what I had read the service providers in the countries where the ipad was officially released were charging. But, as Kenny said, you can't access YouTube some other social networking sites. That doesn't bother me at all but if you're actively using those, then you might consider getting your service from the HK sub of Unicom.

And indeed the service provided by China Mobile is not going to allow you to achieve the maximum data speed. My mainland phone service provider is China Mobile and my iPhone 3G will only operate on Edge due to different 3G systems.

9. leons macrumors 6502

But I can use it in one of those plastic adapters after trimming to use in my iPhone?

10. rex001 macrumors newbie

As far as I know. You can use the China Unicom 3G service to connected through the ipad. However the sim card is not the microsim one. Instead you will have to cut the regular simcard into a microsim one. It works and had been tested by the chinese ipoder. The Wifi mode in China is the same as the north American. Don't worry about that.

11. kennyli macrumors regular

I don't see these plastic adaptors avaliable in the market yet :(

12. mat4020 macrumors member

I just happen to be going to China to work soon as well. I'm debating between the wifi and the 3G model.

Anyone know the price structure for China Unicom's 3G? (I understand that I will need to trim the sim, but I think I can handle that)

Is wifi common in mainland China (Zhuhai to be exact)?

13. mat4020 macrumors member

Check eBay. Found this one quickly.

14. kennyli macrumors regular

The cost is about US$12 for 2GB. Good enough for normal use.

Be reminded that in China, they have blocked all social networks such as Facebook, Twitter , Youtube and etc.

But, you can get a 3G data plan in Hong Kong from China Unicom (Hong Kong), and they are asking for US$35 / month. You will get unlimited data in Hong Kong and also 2GB data in China. The only different is, you can access ALL social networks in China such as Facebook, Twitter, Youtube and etc. That means, you are not blocked!

Free WiFi is not that common, except in starbucks and McDonald's. But you can pay China Mobile to join their WiFi plan. I am not sure about the fee, may be US$15 or less per month.

My advice is, get a 3G portable router, and you can use your WiFi iPad.

15. adrianjin macrumors newbie

China Unicom 3g card not working on 1 phone 4

Hi Guys,
    I manage to get my unlocked iphone 4 in singapore yesterday. After cutting my China Mobile card it works well but after i cut my 3g China Unicom card it doesnt work.
    I also bought a sim card adapter and use it on a Nokia n82 and it works . Not sure why the China unicom card does not work on iphone 4

Problem solved - I changed a new sim card and it works perfectly!!
    Regards

16. AJ.G macrumors member

ive been in china three years now,
    the 3g network is abt 12 USD for 2gb,
    micro sim doesnt exist yet, but wifi has no problems,
    its still 802.11 X,
    youtube, facebook etc has been blocked by the gov. as some others have said,
    but you can set up a VPN really easily on the ipad, for abt 30RMB a month,
    not sure how many USD that is.
    i use my itouch with vpn and i have no problems watsoever with youtube and FB.

enjoy ur china trip,,

-AJ

17. tonyunreal macrumors regular

tonyunreal

Since no one has said it yet and OP didn't make it very clear, I would suggest OP buy the iPad BEFORE going to China. It's not released in China and so far no official release date is given by either Apple or Unicom.

Even if it were released by the time you go off, the price could be a little higher than other countries because of the 17% VAT.

18. comingout macrumors newbie

19. leons macrumors 6502

Where to get this VPN for 30RMB/month?