IPAD in cockpit

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cmhsam, Mar 8, 2011.

1. jamone13 macrumors regular

Even if its not legal for sole use I use myne. I do have a backup paper chart, but I whipped up a simple app to display approach plates, sectionals and enroute charts for free. Its so nice to use.

2. seajay96 macrumors 6502

I've been out of the loop for awhile (stationed overseas), but I am a private pilot and will be returning to it this year. So, just out of curiosity, what apps do you guys use? I'm a little put-off by the subscription requirements for Jeppesen, Foreflight and/or WingX; but, I guess it would be comparable if I can actually dispose of the paper requirements.

3. cmhsam thread starter macrumors 6502

+1. What apps are used? I know the initial FAA Approval is not for all commercial but would be nice to have. Not that we can use these in flight but would love to see this in my office when I strap into the 777.

4. jamone13 macrumors regular

I made my own simple image & PDF viewer that organizes just the charts I'll use for a flight. I didn't want to subscribe at the current costs.

5. cmhsam thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Care to share?

6. jamone13 macrumors regular

I have to rebuild the app currently to add or change included charts. Also I have to do a handful of image processing on each chart to make it preform good. So for now it's not sharable. Sorry.

7. PracticalMac, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011

PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

BIGGER news for iPad (continue HUGE news)

Bloomberg published an article about iPad in aircraft.

It mentions the item I posted a month ago but lists several other events with explanations.

If the FAA approves this for use in airlines, and/or level 2, then at least 100's of thousands more iPads will be sold for air carriers, which included not just air lines, but cargo carriers and private services.

It can effectively make the iOS a preferred business OS, helping the iPhone as well.

Oh and this:
    http://www.aopa.org/aopalive/?watch=R3N3B0MTprcTmmhVEG7mQbIEGvGFlVKy

8. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

this is good news for Apple, not so much the consumer.

9. Krandor macrumors 6502

How is it bad for the consumer?

10. Xeperu macrumors 6502

11. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Yes, please enlighten us???

12. Krandor macrumors 6502

Which is why they require that you have some type of backup system as well.

13. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

iPads can use in-flight wifi to be updated in real time with new data.

Papers can be modified if you wrote in pencil and have an eraser handy.

14. Xeperu macrumors 6502

As in paper?

Also, inflight wifi might not work, back to papers.

I find it scary that a first gen/second gen device are considered for situations where lives could depend on it. Better let it mature for a few years. No need to rush this. I fly about once to twice a week continentally and at least once every two weeks up and down from Europe to Asia and I'd like my pilots to use trusted methods.

Again, I don't mind that they will eventually move to HARDENED systems for this. But consumer grade hardware, no matter how "magical" it might appear to the fanboy base, should not be used in cockpits just yet.

15. jamone13 macrumors regular

Charts aren't updated often enough to need or want inflight updates. This does pose a risk of 1/2 downloaded chart and then loosing connection. One thing that makes using paper charts a real PITA is that when unfolded they are often as wide as a small cockpit. On airlines with 2 pilots they can deal with this better, but smaller planes with 1 pilot, chart management is a distraction & gets in the way physically. For them an iPad is honestly worth the risk.

16. Good.Shepherd macrumors member

Seems this company is working on an EFB based on the iPad (electronic flight bag). http://www.asigllc.com/

I think it's an interesting idea.

17. PittsDriver macrumors 6502a

PittsDriver

I use mine in the cockpit all the time during part 91 operations. My part 135 job I dont because its not in our opspec.

18. PittsDriver macrumors 6502a

PittsDriver

I use Foreflight, Jeppesen, Aeroweather, Skycharts Pro regularly. I have the Sportys E6B, iHud, FlightAware and a bunch of others too.

19. PittsDriver macrumors 6502a

PittsDriver

Keep in mind that charts and plates are stored on the iPad, not using wifi in the cockpit. Most apps have the ability to choose which state you download for. So if you know you are going to that state today, download it before you go and boom there it is ready to go instantly. So you can still comply with not having a cellular signal or wifi signal while flying.

ExecJet did extensive testing with the iPad. And most 135 and 121 operators that are now approved to use the iPad as an EFB need to have 2, so there is still a redundant backup. ExecJet also did not experience any crashes. Plus if an app crashes it is a very minimal time to reopen the app. It would just be like dropping your plate on the floor during an approach....

20. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

One huge advantage is that all of the charts update regularly, instead of paper charts that get updated twice a year (and you have to remember to get the new version).

21. jamone13 macrumors regular

Um, the chart's update cycles aren't any different for paper vs any digital ones. Its illegal to use out dated charts regardless. Twice a year is sectionals, IFR Enroute charts & approach plates (really critical charts) update every 28 days, on paper & digital.