iPad in corporate environment -- question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MattG, Jan 31, 2012.

1. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Here's a scenario:

We bought a bunch of iPads for users. When we first got them, we logged them in as a generic iTunes account we created (let's call it generic@domain.com), so we could download some apps that we wanted preinstalled for these people.

When we gave the iPads to the users, we had them create their own iTunes logons, and logon to the iTunes store on the iPad (let's call one of the users user@domain.com).

The problem now is that when they want to update the apps that we installed as generic@domain.com, it wants the password for generic@domain.com (which they cannot have), even though the iPad is now logged into the store as user@domain.com. What we'd like is even though it was originally installed under a different logon, for the new logon to take responsibility for updating the app. Is this possible, or is the only choice to delete the app, and reinstall as the new user?

In case it matters, these are FREE apps that we downloaded. The reason we're looking to get away with not having to uninstall and reinstall, is that the people using these iPads are not exactly tech-people. We were trying to keep it as easy as possible, but it looks like we may have unintentionally screwed ourselves by doing it this way. Any input would be appreciated!

2. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Yup, you may well be screwed. A couple of thoughts. If you are a large corporate customer you may be able to access specialized support from Apple to deal with the your issue. And even if you're not, a local Apple store may have a small business expert who can help. I wouldn't be too optimistic on this score, however. Although Apple promotes their support for businesses, I've heard decidedly mixed results from customers, especially compared to that provided by firms such as Lenovo. (They offer custom configuration of software to their tablets for corporate customers, for example.)

Of course, you've already identified what amounts to the "simplest" solution. Since the software you've added are free apps you at least don't have to deal with reimbursing every user for purchasing individual apps. And even the most tech-challenged user should be able to follow instructions for the relatively simple procedure of deleting an app and reinstalling it under their own "user@domain.com" iTunes account. After all, you've already provided users (whether they know it or not) the capability to create their own iTunes account and add/delete apps as they please. Better to train them how to do it safely and efficiently than run the risk that they'll accidentally delete one of the apps you're already installed and not know how to reinstall it.

3. MattG thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

4. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Maybe have a meeting or conference call, depending on your situation, to teach them how. They may catch on quicker than you think. :)

We bought my grandmother a Kindle Fire for Christmas, she is familiar with using a PC. After a few over the phone training sessions with me (and me using online guides since I've never used a Kindle) she is very comfortable with it.

5. MattG thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

It's our Board. The next time they have a meeting, we'll likely just request they all bring in their iPads so we can work with them to create iTunes accounts (which many of them don't already have), and logon.

The sucky part about all this (and sorry in advance for the rant), and one of the reasons we originally downloaded these apps using our generic account, is that they'll each have to enter a credit card to setup their iTunes accounts, which some may not want to do...all for a couple of FREE apps that we want them to be able to use. It kind of blows that for what we were wanting to be such a basic setup, all this rigmarole is necessary. Even for my own personal account/iPad, it's always baffled me as to why I should have to enter a username/password to download/update FREE apps.

6. number84 macrumors 6502

you don't need a credit card to create an account as far as i know...i set one up for my kid brother a little while ago without a credit card.

7. MattG thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

You can create an account without a card, but I don't think you can download apps without a credit card, free or not.

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yes, exactly. Here's how to do it:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2534

Also, since all your apps are free, can't you just remove the credit card from your corporate iTunes account (and believe me, you didn't need to put in the cc info in the first place), and give everyone the password?

9. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

I hear ya. Apple has a long way to go in terms of understanding how to operate in a corporate environment. Assuming your budget allows for it, just buy some pre-paid credit cards with a nominal amount on each. You can pick 'em up at the local grocery. Load a few bucks on each and let them use those for their iTunes accounts if they prefer.

10. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

Better yet, being your board, I am sue the company can allow for a budget of a few dollars per person per month to pay for some apps, why not have them al on a generic account, let them have the password and link it to a corporate credit card.

You can monitor the email address for app purchases and music purchases, and then just tell them that any obscure or expensive purchases will require them to pay it back to the company.

Is what I would do anyway...

11. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Not sure if that is legally correct. While this is working in a family where Papa control all devices I don't think that a company with a board can argue the same way. I would suggest to cross check against the license agreement in case of generic accounts.

To the OP: my company will also go with individual Apple ID and preload standard apps during initial staging of the device. After that we will provide links into AppStore via mail or intranet to install new apps.

If you don't want the cc info you might could ask your sourcing people to buy redemption codes (a.k.a. Gift an App) and avoid cc info in the individual accounts

12. brentc133 macrumors member

I just recently set-up fourteen iPads to be used within our company. I set-up a general account and gave everyone the username and password for future updates. I used a $25 visa gift card to set-up the account with. The users of the iPads can set there own accounts up to purchase apps that they want, but I can push out shared apps under the company account. Works very well.

13. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

Gifting the apps might be an idea, or even gift cards, so put $40 of iTunes gift cards on each account and tell them to let you know when it runs out, if they can't justify where the money went, they can pay back for the apps that were not deemed business needs and then get another gift card....

Or something like that.

14. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

...except it's illegal.

You must have a Application Volume Purchase Agreement in place to install the same app on multiple devices thru the same iTunes account if you are a business.