Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lamonster

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2008
any passwords needed by the hotel are usually run through their router as a webpage that displays in the browser, so it doesn't affect the setup of the Airport Extreme.
That's what I was thinking too. :rolleyes:

Becordial

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
It needs a PC for initial setup, but that can be done prior to arriving at the hotel (i.e., setup at home before you go). I've never run into any problems with using a standard DHCP setup on it, any passwords needed by the hotel are usually run through their router as a webpage that displays in the browser, so it doesn't affect the setup of the Airport Extreme.

Of course, it'd be nice if Apple would release a version of the Airport Utility for the iPad so you could configure it without a computer handy for just that usage, but I don't know if they're likely to do so.

jW

I agree, if they offer am Airport Utility set-up for the iPad it'd be very useful.

I can also backup the comments here that I've never had a problem using the Airport Express in a hotel. Set it up on your home computer before you go so you know the network name and password, then when you get into your room plug it in, get the iPad to look for the network and you'll be connected. If the hotel makes you pay or whatever for connection, it'll just bring up the connection page inside Safari on the iPad.

SteveMobs

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
Washington D.C.
Might I add that Airtran airways is offering free WiFi on their flights from 3/13 to 3/27

I was surprised to get an e-mail from my brother who was using his ipod touch on the plane. Pretty cool, and something for you to consider if you haven't already booked your flight.

SteveSparks

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
St. Louis, MO.
I will be traveling to a conference a few days after I get my iPad in April. I always choose my hotel based on whether or not it has free internet, and I thought this would be my first opportunity to pack lighter and leave my laptop at home. However, I just noticed on the confirmation that the room has wired internet. There goes my plan to leave my laptop at home. I know the iPad is not marketed as a laptop replacement--but this is a drawback. I would have been very unhappy had I not read my confirmation more closely. I am now going to try to change my hotel to one with wireless.

Take a router. I know people who take a router to Hotels and setup a hidden WIFI network for them to use.

I suspect the Lobby will have wireless.

azboricua

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2009
Arizona
I will be traveling to a conference a few days after I get my iPad in April. I always choose my hotel based on whether or not it has free internet, and I thought this would be my first opportunity to pack lighter and leave my laptop at home. However, I just noticed on the confirmation that the room has wired internet. There goes my plan to leave my laptop at home. I know the iPad is not marketed as a laptop replacement--but this is a drawback. I would have been very unhappy had I not read my confirmation more closely. I am now going to try to change my hotel to one with wireless.

Would you like the iPad to bring a phone jack too for when you dont have access to an ethernet based jack? Would you like a USB 1.0 socket also for when you use those accessories that don't support USB 2.0. Come on apple, where is my DB-25 parallel printer port for those times where I visit a friend who doesn't know what USB is. Oh the iPad is such a FAIL!!!!!! Seriously, you cant make everyone happy.

/end sarcasm

Lamonster

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2008
Would you like the iPad to bring a phone jack too for when you dont have access to an ethernet based jack? Would you like a USB 1.0 socket also for when you use those accessories that don't support USB 2.0. Come on apple, where is my DB-25 parallel printer port. Seriously, you cant make everyone happy.
I wonder if my MagicJack will work through the usb adapter :D

vidsmart

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
Thanks to all for input. This is the kind of conversation I was trying to generate. I agree with comments about changing hotels; every hotel should have wireless rooms (and it should be complimentary--but higher end/business traveler hotels won't go complimentary because they know most corporate types will simply pay for internet access and add it to their expense reports.) The hotel in question is a Marriot by the way.

To Bodhi395--thanks
To Robotkiller--sorry I wasn't clearer; I was feeling rather reactive and didn't take the time to use the quote function

Doju

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
I'll admit the only port I'm bummed about losing is ethernet. Our school prints over a network so we have to connect via ethernet in order to print (they won't give us password to WiFi for whatever reason).

Any chance of an accessory being able to replicate the functionality?

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Would you like the iPad to bring a phone jack too for when you dont have access to an ethernet based jack? Would you like a USB 1.0 socket also for when you use those accessories that don't support USB 2.0. Come on apple, where is my DB-25 parallel printer port for those times where I visit a friend who doesn't know what USB is. Oh the iPad is such a FAIL!!!!!! Seriously, you cant make everyone happy.

/end sarcasm

Overreact much?

He's just looking for a solution to a problem.

Lamonster

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2008
It's practically the same thing just not made by Apple and a few dollars cheaper.
I saw your post right after I ordered the Apple one :( but the one thing I do like about the apple is there is no extra power cord to plug in. That's a big plus to me, I have enough cords to pack now. The other one looks great too and the price is right.

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I'll admit the only port I'm bummed about losing is ethernet. Our school prints over a network so we have to connect via ethernet in order to print (they won't give us password to WiFi for whatever reason).

Any chance of an accessory being able to replicate the functionality?

Even if there was an accessory, we still don't know if the iPad has the ability to print. It hasn't been officially addressed by Apple as far as I know.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
Sigh, we seem to have conflicting opinions here about whether you have to have an attached laptop to Airport Express (or other portable wireless routers). So let's try again. Most places have a sign in screen where you enter a password, etc. Can you do that thru the wireless device or do you have to have a wired, attached computer. And please no suggestions to go and find another hotel. That doesn't help at all. We own several timeshares and they all just have wired connections.

MacMur

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2008
California
I travel a bit and one of the annoying things to me is that so many Hotels charge for their connection. I plan to get the 3G version so I can circumnavigate that charge. I like the $14.99 data plan that ATT has since I will use WiFi as often as possible but when I need it 3G here I come. I don't think I will blow past the data limit since WiFi is so prevalent.

Alkiera

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2008
I travel a bit and one of the annoying things to me is that so many Hotels charge for their connection. I plan to get the 3G version so I can circumnavigate that charge. I like the $14.99 data plan that ATT has since I will use WiFi as often as possible but when I need it 3G here I come. I don't think I will blow past the data limit since WiFi is so prevalent.

This is my feeling on the topic exactly. There are many place I might want to websurf or show off a youtube video, etc, without open wifi networks. For those times, you have the cheap cellular. The rest of the time, you have wifi.

Haven't purchased yet, but I certainly plan on it. It's a beautiful thing.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Exactly what crossed my mind. Any hotel that doesn't have wireless at this point needs to get a clue.

I was at a hotel on the 6th for a conference. Lots of free wifi... for guests only. Which stunk - since i was local but still needed to get online. Thankfully someone shared the pw with me.

I agree that i expect wifi at a hotel these days - but it doesn't seem like it is happening very well.... (as I was attempting to book a hotel for saturday night)

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Sigh, we seem to have conflicting opinions here about whether you have to have an attached laptop to Airport Express (or other portable wireless routers). So let's try again. Most places have a sign in screen where you enter a password, etc. Can you do that thru the wireless device or do you have to have a wired, attached computer. And please no suggestions to go and find another hotel. That doesn't help at all. We own several timeshares and they all just have wired connections.

Most hotels will present that sign in screen via the browser. Thus, it won't matter if you're using a Airport Express to connect via an iPad. It will simply present the login screen, you enter the requisite information, and browse away. That's the way it's worked for me on my MacBook and iPod touch on the few occasions I've had to do that.

There are ways of doing that which would require more setup on the Airport Express itself, in which case a computer would be required. Those are very rare though, since the first way is easier. Thus, I wouldn't worry too much about those times unless internet access is highly business-critical, in which case the 3G iPad would probably be better anyways.

jW

FlashHead

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2010

I travel for business quite often and have encountered just about every internet situation you can think of. Far more more often than not I am in a corporate apartment or a hotel room abroad that only has an ethernet cable for internet (no wifi). I always travel with my Airport Express. Without fail, I plug my AE in when I first get there, and then sign on to the hotels internet page wirelessly. I have NEVER needed to hardwire the AE to my computer to accomplish this task.

It's been a quite a while since I got my AE, but if I'm not mistaken, you actually discover it wirelessly through Airport Utility on the Mac for the initial set-up. I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Whether the iPad will be equipped with this utility seems unlikely though, based on my ipod touch.

paulisme

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2008
Charleston, SC
Do you own a MacBook? My wife and I recently took a trip where we stayed at a hotel with only wired internet access. Since we both brought MacBooks, I was able to keep one plugged in to the wired connection and use the Internet Sharing feature on that laptop to wirelessly share the internet connection to my other laptop. You could do something similar with a MacBook and an iPad if you find that the hotel has login page security like another poster mentioned.

vidsmart

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
Thanks Paulisme, but I was trying to prove to myself that i could leave my laptop at home. I ended up changing my reservation to another hotel (also Marriot) with wireless. So now this trip will be iPad only!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.