iPad iPad in store pickup experience.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by patseguin, Nov 1, 2013.

1. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I got to the Apple Store and saw a short roped line and a sign stating those that ordered for pickup walk in. There were 2 blue shirted girls talking while I waited to ask them what to do. I said screw it and started to walk into the store. That got their attention and they asked if I was picking something up, and I said yes of course, the same as everyone. They told me to stand in a line where a single blue shirt woman checked people out. Not only is the system stupid where you give them your pickup notice and you have to wait for someone else to go get it, but this guy in front of me went for his pickup and asked about cases and she pointed them out. Me being next, I thought she would call me up while he looked at covers. But no, I had to stand there until the guy came back. I was getting pissed off and another guy came up to check me out. He checked my ID and then said he had to wait for someone to bring it up. It took a few minutes but I was in and out in 15 minutes. The annoying part for me is that you have to wait for a 3rd party to get your device. Couldn't they just have guarded stacks of iPads and the cashier could just grab your device?

2. ScottW1 macrumors regular

Oh man, 15 minutes, what an ordeal! How did you survive? :rolleyes:

Seriously, it is tough for me to second-guess the store procedures. They have to deal with security and a very dynamic workload. One moment there can be nobody in line, the next moment 15 people can show up. One customer can know exactly what they want and take 2 minutes to serve, the next can take 2 hours of their time. I am sure a lot of thought goes into the best way to prepare and manage it all by people way more experienced at retail than I am.

Certainly there are some employees there not deserving of the "genius" title, and at times the procedures are not perfectly tuned for the precise workload presented by the customers. But overall, they do a pretty great job -- as evidenced by you getting in and out in 15 minutes on what was undoubtedly a busier than average day.