Ipad in the Business environment

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Billydelp4, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Billydelp4 macrumors regular

I have a couple of necessities for the iPad but I am not sure they can be met elegantly.

1) remote desktop- I need a service to work as a remote desktop when not associated to the same wi-fi network. i.e. I want to be able to see my laptop desktop and operate basic functions from home or while even though the laptop is based somewhere else. This function will probably need the ability to wake the computer from sleep. Anyone know of an app that can do this cleanly?

2) I have an iphone and can handle most of my outlook functions from it. the only thing missing is the ability to work out the archived folder in my account. Is there a better way to manage outlook than through the regular mail app?

Also, I am not sure my company will officially support the iPad but rather will let me fly under the radar. Can anyone for see many difficulties operating in this manner?

Thanks for your time.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes. If non-approved devices are not allowed on the network you could face disciplinary action.

3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I do all sorts of work-related stuff on my iPad, including remote desktop type functions, but everything at my workplace is Citrix-based, so it's all fully supported via the iPad's Citrix app.

4. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

Try Jump Desktop for your RDP needs. It's what I use and it works great over wifi. Now, It does work on 3G bu tit is painfully slow to the point that its more hassle than its worth. Over two separate wifi networks it flies. Providing both have good decent speed. If you have a Verizon MiFi card it does pretty decent over it at times. Nothing to rely on though.

As far your mail client, I forward all my mail from Outlook to GMail. I prefer it much more. I have everything set up to send from the outlook account so no one knows the difference. Other than that I cant say what app to use.

If you're using a iPhone I see no issues with using a iPad as far as disciplinary action is concerned.

5. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

6. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

I have both and prefer jump. Both are good. Last rind I used splashtop it didn't lock the PC. Jump does. That's a big one. Splashtop didn't support over different networks either but now it does so maybe it locks the PC also now. I'll use it again tomorrow and see. I've been really happy with jump.

7. Billydelp4 thread starter macrumors regular

I am less concerned with disciplinary action. I believe they just don't want to have IT troubleshoot more devices than is already necessary.

I have tried splash top and it works fine when on the same wifi network but I could not find anything about it being able to wake a computer from sleep. If the server client is running on the machine already than it isnt a problem but since the laptop automatically logs off after 5 minutes of idle I need something that will let me wake it up. Does that make sense?

I will look into the gmail mail client but my first thought is that it isn't a very elegant solution and might provide more of a headache.

Thanks for the help thus far.

8. Krandor macrumors 6502

I use logmein.com for remotely accessing computers and I know they have an iPhone app for it.