iPad In The Wild?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by newyorksole, Apr 7, 2010.

1. newyorksole macrumors 68030

When the Original iPhone released it didn't take too long before I started seeing them in public.

I have been in Manhattan for the past 2 days walking through parks and going to college in Midtown and still haven't seen one out.

Have you guys seen any? Other than YOURS or a family member/friend.

2. Surely Guest

Surely

Yes. Mine. At Starbucks. On the patio. Enjoying an iced coffee. Right now.

3. LadyHoneyBabe macrumors 6502

I haven't seen anyone since Saturday. I've been too busy looking at my iPad. :D

4. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Not yet -- But then again I haven't been too many places in the last several days, either. When I did go out, mine was the first iPad others had seen....

5. wilycoder macrumors 6502

6. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

I don't think the iPad is something people are really going to carry around like a phone or laptop. I kind of see it as a really cool at-home device.

7. wilycoder macrumors 6502

I know I am not most people, but my iPad is with me almost 24/7.

I don't shower with it......yet.

8. megatronbomb macrumors regular

megatronbomb

My boyfriend and I stopped in for dinner at a place in Portland a couple nights ago and there was a guy sitting at a table with one. People kept seeing it and asking him questions... some people saw it and started talking about it as they walked by, including a group of old women. It was pretty amusing.

9. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Now that I have her all set up to my satisfaction, yes, my iPad will go wherever I go......just have been at home a lot recently!

10. BMP84 macrumors regular

BMP84

I seen two out in the wild, was glad I wasn't the only one there with one. The others had to field the questions :)

Took mine out today and me and my daughter played air hockey over some burritos. :) I looked up and everyone was gossiping about it. :)

11. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

i saw a guy with one (out of box, in his hand) walking towards an apple store today :eek:

12. Ljohnson72 macrumors 6502a

Ljohnson72

I play Sudoku while waiting at restaurants for food, write shopping lists on it, etc. I've taken it out with me every day this week :D

Edit: I haven't seen any otherx out in the wild. But when I have mine with me I get tons of double takes and people whispering about it as they walk by. Quite funny.

13. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, but this is a hard-core Apple fanbase. I'm talking about normal people. :D

14. DemonBob macrumors member

Other then mine, i have seen two. My boss's and a guy at the same coffee shop as me. Mine goes everywhere with me.

15. Ljohnson72 macrumors 6502a

Ljohnson72

What are these normal people you speak of? :)

16. f00f macrumors 65816

I haven't seen any in the wild yet other than mine... But I'm in the sticks of Long Island.

17. Dmich116 macrumors member

I actually used mine on the train to read some magazines and books. Still not fully sure if I will keep taking it with me or just use it at home.

18. youssefm macrumors 6502

I'm in Manhattan also, and I haven't seen any out in the wild yet.. I've been seeing the kindle everywhere though :eek:

19. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Oh yes yes i already seen a guy with one at a CoffeeBean and he had an Apple case on it.

20. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

I've had people recognize mine and ask me, "Is that the iPad!"

Where I live I wouldn't expect too many people to own one. I live in a smaller County. We have a ton of iPhones here though. Not too many Mac users either. Most are older that are.

Where I live the nearest Apple store is an hour and a half away.

21. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

I have not seen any out in the wild either. I carry mine everywhere I go though in the apple case its almost like a small little writing tablet that can do so much more! :)

22. FetalSage macrumors regular

I haven't seen anyone else here in San Francisco. Yes I saw people walk out of the Apple store carrying boxes, but I haven't seen anyone actually use it outside.

I've used mine on the bus (reading Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter) and in a coffee shop while waiting for someone. People probably did stare on the bus, but I was too busy to notice. But at the coffee shop, a few people started talking about the iPad around me. They didn't ask questions (phew), but they did talk about it. Which is pretty funny.

But as mentioned above, you probably won't see it outside too much. Maybe at a coffee shop here and there.

23. newyorksole thread starter macrumors 68030

did you buy yours from Smith Haven?

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I haven't seen any but haven't been out much. I did attract a crowd at the bar at PF Chang's while I was waiting for a take out order. Demoed it for 5 people and even let some dude touch mine. :D

25. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

I'm on Maui with lots of tourists

Nothing yet

Will keep a look out