iPad instead of Wacom?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by marcusj0015, Jul 21, 2012.

1. marcusj0015 macrumors 65816

Does anyone know how to use an iPad as a wacom, and like, not draw in an iPad app, but take the screen input and directly send it to Photoshop/Illustrator like the Wacom would? and like, showed what was on the screen in Illustrator/Photoshop as well. An app that did this, would be incredible.

2. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Air Display! It'll set you back 10 bucks.

It won't be quite as good as an actual Wacom tablet, though. It's good if you already have an iPad, and want a cheap way to get up and running, but you'll be missing out on the most important thing an actual drawing tablet offers: pressure sensitivity.

3. marcusj0015 thread starter macrumors 65816

That's more for like, extending your display to an iPad, I want more of a use a Photoshop plugin to pipe Photoshop to the iPad, and use a few drivers and an iPad app, to send pressure sensitive stylus input data to Photoshop type thing, Sounds like I'll have to find someone to make this sort of thing.

4. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

The only way you'll get pressure sensitivity is if you find a stylus that supports it in the pen itself, because the iPad screen (as it currently is) isn't capable of it. There are a couple of pens out there that do this. Though from what I hear, they're not very good.

The only bet you can make with as few tradeoffs as possible is to get decent a regular fine point iPad stylus, like the Adonit Jot Pro, set Air Display to mirror mode, open up PS, and draw away. It's not the best option ever, but until the iPad gets a digitizer and enough processing power to run PS proper, it's your best bet.

5. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

if hes on windows, air display is not worth the $10 at all.
    was too much lag :/

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

If you really need a Wacom pad then get a Wacom pad.

7. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

iPads weren't built to be pressure sensitive drawing tablets. You can't really expect an iPad to replace a Wacom.

8. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

you need a win slate

I don't see wacom stylus functionality coming to the ipad--maybe someday... Meantime, this functionality is well implemented on a window slate like Samsung Slate 7, and next year, MicroSoft Surface. Its interesting that stylus's are a best selling accessory, but there is very little interest in this issue on this forum. Maybe designer/artists are under represented at mac rumors.

9. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Samsung uses Wacom technology in their latest pen enabled devices like the Galaxy Note.

Betcha someone writes an app for the upcoming Note 10.1 tablet that lets it be used as a entry device for another computer.

10. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Have you used it recently? One of the bullets on the iTunes store says the latest version offers big improvements to latency and framerate for both Win and Mac, so it might be much smoother these days.

All this talk about about using the iPad as a poor man's Cintiq has gotten me all geared up to try it out for myself. I don't expect it to work nearly as well as my actual Wacom tablet, but I bet I could still find a few good uses for it.

11. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

nah i havent, ill have to redownload it again.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Sounds like you need a Wacom.

You can even see the gaping differences when using cheap art tablets, I can't imagine how bad using an iPad would be. *braces for the inevitable influx of artists who do just this*

But seriously. Wacoms are great.

13. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I don't think it'd be bad exactly. You do get to draw directly to the screen on a device you can hold in the crook of your arm, which is great thing to be able to do. I guess for some people those pluses are nice enough to offset the lack of pressure sensitivity, which they can get around well enough by constantly playing with brush sizes and strength settings. It's not nearly as elegant, but it can be done.

But you're right. Wacoms really are great, and nothing else feels quite right once you've used one.

14. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Just wanted to share the commercial ad for anyone curious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k1r0Sx-wpQ&feature=player_embedded

15. GrBear macrumors newbie

I'm still waiting for a Wacom digitizer in a new iPad. *le sigh*

It can't be THAT hard if Samsung is doing it.

Oh, and btw, the best drawing app on the iPad by far is ArtRage.