iPad iPad insurance for High Schooler

Discussion in 'iPad' started by shragae, Jun 3, 2013.

1. shragae macrumors newbie

I am brand spanking new -- bought an iPad Retina yesterday for my soon to be high school (9th grade) son. The school is going to be using the iPad on campus and all students must buy one.

Said son has broken 2 Lenovo laptop screens in the last year. :eek:

Homeowner's insurance only covers after $1000 deductible so it is not an option.

I'm thinking we need loss / theft insurance as well as accidental damage given this will be at school. From what I can see Worth Ave. and Safeware are the only 2 choices and I'm seeing some negative comments about Worth on the forum.

PLUS the K-12 price was around $150 at Worth and Individual was $115 (WTF -- one would think student insurance would be LESS).

I realize there are a ton o'threads on the subject of iPad insurance but would really like some advice. It sounds like if we go no insurance then accidental damage may be "redeemable" at Apple for a fee -- which might be cheaper than insurance in the end -- but being new to Apple I just don't know if this is true or not.

Theft / loss is a whole other issue -- and it seems that I can't get theft / loss without total iPad insurance.

So if you were me -- and given my son's track record -- would you go with 3rd party insurance? Would you choose Worth or Safeware (or is there another option)? Thanks much.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Read up on AppleCare Plus and then read the terms of SquareTrade. Either will be fine but I think you'll do better with AC+. Also, invest in an Otterbox case for the iPad. If he gripes at the increased thickness/weight, toss the laptop at him and let him recall what his carelessness leads to.

3. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

I second this.

Get a high-end case, like an OtterBox, and get AppleCare+.

If he complains, show him the $600+ investment you made into his education, and the laptops he's broken, and tell him to be more responsible!

Good luck.

4. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    For how many years coverage? When I look at the Worth page, the annual fee for the most expensive model (K12 iPad 3-4 128GB + 4G) is $87.

I've not come across negative comment about Worth here. Can you provide a link?

After a family member's iPod Touch was stolen I opted for Worth on all our devices since it covers theft and a lot more. Wish I would have had it earlier, but live and learn.

Unfortunately, with a kid in school you are definitely going to have some sort of theft insurance in place.

5. shragae thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Aspasia macrumors 65816

LOL, that Worth Avenue thread is more about the failure of the OP to (a) lock his car and (b) get a police report, than any failure on the part of Worth Avenue. They had every right to deny coverage since it's pretty clear what's expected of the policyholder in the event of a loss.

AppleCare+ does not cover theft.

http://images.apple.com/legal/sales-support/applecare/docs/applecareplusforipadenglish.pdf

For that reason alone, am letting my AppleCare expire and am sticking with Worth.

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Read the OP again. AC+ does not cover loss/theft which is a concern for the OP.

8. rillrill macrumors 6502

rillrill

is this a private school? i can't see a public school requiring parents to buy an expensive item like that. what about a $200 chromebook instead?

9. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

my daughter (catholic school) is required to have an iPad (nothing else) until grade 3 and then a laptop from grades 4-8. the laptop can be a windows machine.

10. shragae thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a private school and iPads are required.

The concern I have with Worth is if they require a police report --

I've actually emailed Worth and the response to how they cover a lost iPad is:

Which means this is fairly worthless to me. I'm talking about a kid here -- he is more likely to lose it or get it lifted at school than to have some professional "thief" steal it.

11. Aspasia macrumors 65816

A thief is a thief. School kids who steal other people's stuff are thieves. The theft of our iPod Touch took place in a grade school, during extracurricular activities. A police report was easily obtained but alas, we didn't have Worth Ins. in place at the time.

As to a kid being careless, that's another story.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I understood but his kid's history is with damage.

13. shragae thread starter macrumors newbie

You are right, Jessica. I'm more concerned about damage (broken screens) than theft. I'm also more concerned about him losing it than theft. . .

I'm beginning to think that AC+ or squaretrade may be my best bet after all. Just to be on the safe side that is. . . I sure wish someone covered "accidental loss."
    :(

14. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Only in terms of damage. Apple Care doesn't cover loss or theft

----------

Rumor according to sources supposedly close to the matter. Don't trust something like that. Especially when. If it turns out wrong by the time you find it you could be past the 30 days and can't get apple care if that's what you want to do

And be sure that he is either using iCloud or is habitually backing up to a computer because 'I dropped my iPad in water and it wouldn't turn on so I don't have my work finished' won't fly with teachers

15. shragae thread starter macrumors newbie

Charlituna -- the school uses something called "eBackpack" which is a school iteration of iCloud. Everything the kids do is automatically put up on the cloud. No more "lost" homework!

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You are missing what I am writing. I wrote, I know AC doesn't cover theft. Actually I wrote that I understood. I should have spelled it out further, I suppose. I am well aware that AC doesn't cover theft. Read the first post. Do you want to tell me that theft is a great concern when faced with a child who has broken not one but two sturdy laptops recently? Again, AC+ is his better bet even if there is something to supplement the insurance against loss or theft.

His Homeowner's will but the deductible needs to be reduced to at least $250 to make it worth it. In that case, the premium will increase and you will likely not see a savings. It depends on his carrier.

----------

If it were me, I would likely check to see if lowering my deductible with my homeowner's would help. If the premium increases to the point where the deductible + premium increase = new iPad then it is not worth making that change. Instead, perhaps have your son do some chores and some of the money goes into savings for a new iPad. If he never loses it or it doesn't get stolen, then he can just spend the money elsewhere.

17. shragae thread starter macrumors newbie

Update

For anyone interested in learning "what I did." :rolleyes:

1. Purchased a QQ-Tech combination iPad Case with Bluetooth Keyboard
    2. Purchased AppleCare+
    3. Used my Amex card to buy AC+ which gives me another year of "warranty"

The case should help (some) to protect the iPad. No, it isn't an Ottercase, but it does have a keyboard which he'll need at school;

I went with AC+ primarily for the hassle free aspect. Yes, 3rd party providers give you more for less money -- but you have to pay out of pocket and get reimbursed or you have to send your iPad away. . . AC+ just seemed a lot easier in the end.

By going with my Amex card if the iPad is damaged in year 3 American Express pays for the repair or replacement. Although let's be honest -- in 3 years either the school or my son will require a newer iPad.

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice.

18. vmaniqui macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

although i didn't give any advice, i appreciate your updates on your inquiry. this is exactly what we want from forum members who are seeking advise- to give us an update on what you did or didn't .....thanks.

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Good luck OP, I hope your son takes good care of it.:D

20. Essenar macrumors 6502a

Lol. If you need a police report, you might as well not even get coverage. Police do NOT file reports.

http://americablog.com/2011/08/five...ile-report-or-even-listen-to-their-story.html

Cops hate to file reports. Last year in San Diego, some dude hit my ex girlfriend's new BMW and sped off. We found his car and even found paint transfer that matched her car. So we called the police and they basically said "This isnt our problem."

They're required to file car accident reports when the damage exceeds $1000. I was in an accident where my entire engine nearly ejected. Not one word on a notepad. They literally try to just sweep you off the road so they can go cite more traffic violations. It's terrible.

21. mikeoui macrumors regular

You can always request a police report, then they have to do it. If they refuse, get an alderman involved. That worked for me when a cop didn't believe the damage to my car after being hit was at least $1,000. (It ended up being close to $2,000.)

Hit and run is something different though. I got screwed by the system on one of those. Didn't matter that I had the license plate number or that the person even confessed.

Yes, I have bad luck with cars.