iPad Insurance

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bigdog5142, Mar 25, 2010.

1. bigdog5142 macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

Hello, all!

Anyone out there considering insurance for their iPad investment? You may want to look into something in place of, or beyond Apple Care.

I have Apple Care on my MBP, but not on my iPhone and probably not on my iPad.

Here's a few options (and one I'm using):

Square Trade will insure your iPad for $95. They advertise that their insurance covers what Apple Care would AS WELL AS accidental damage (cracked screen). A $50 deductible applies on accidental damage claims, not on failure claims.

Homeowner's insurance (through your carrier). I have State Farm in the state of MI. I am able to insure my iPad against theft and accidental damage for about $3 per month. However, this DOES NOT cover software or hardware failure of the iPad. No deductible on claims.

I actually insure my iPhone 3G, my MBP 13", my wife's wedding ring and now my iPad the same way for around $160 per YEAR. There are no deductibles on any of the items and should any of them be stolen, lost or accidentally damaged, I get a check for the cost of the repair or replacement.

I know that there are some that would be concerned about too many claims through their homeowners...if you're not making a LOT of claims, you're fine. I had my Treo 700p insured through this policy back when the first iPhone came out. My Treo broke (no I did NOT break it...it was just great timing) and I received a check for $550. I jumped Sprint's ship and went to AT&T for the iPhone...didn't pay a penny out of pocket. No increase in premiums. That was two years ago.

So...anyone have any other ideas???

2. nippyjun macrumors 65816

I will use squaretrade if i insure it.

My homeowners won't cover it.

3. bigdog5142 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

I had to add a "Personal Items Policy" to my overall portfolio. I have my home and cars through State Farm...so it was easy to add that.

4. Bulldog3777 macrumors 6502

Insuance

I have my MBP and DSLR through State Farm's Personal Articles Policy, when I called about the Iphone my agent said State Farm does not insure phones.??

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I just go the self-insurance route. If I insured every portable electronic device I had I wouldn't have money to buy them. In my 20+ years of owning them I had a camera stolen in college and a video camera stolen on an overseas trip. I've never <knock on wood> broken anything due to dumb luck or personal clumsiness though I have dropped lenses, phones, and stuff, to a few scratches, but still functional. So I like my odds.

6. Spudracer macrumors 6502

7. Fubar65 macrumors newbie

Check out worthavegroup.com I am insuring my laptop through them and they seem to be great.

8. bigdog5142 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

What state do you live in? I've found as I've spoken to people all over the country that various branches of State Farm in specific states have different policies. For MI, your phone has to have a replacement value of over $600 or $700 to be insured. The iPhone 3G costs that much when purchased out of contract, which I'd have to do if it broke. That's why it's insured.

9. Cooper1662 macrumors newbie

Nippyjun,

Why would you use SquareTrade for a warranty when you can get much better coverage from Worth Ave Group insurance?

See my post here: previous comparison I made about iPad Insurance

10. Bulldog3777 macrumors 6502

Insurance

I live in Va and I wanted to insure mine for the very reason you did.

11. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

No, I won't be getting insurance most-likely. I don't have it on my 52" LCD so I won't waste my time with an iPad.

12. yaroldb macrumors 6502

I do the same thing. I have my camera gear and Macbook Pro with their "Personal Items Policy". I'm thinking of adding my iPad. It's like 30 bucks a year. The main reason I got it was for theif. I leave the country a few times a year and you can never be to safe.

13. ralphdaily macrumors regular

Insurance for iPad

I assumed I could cover my iPad under my State Farm personal articles insurance like my other computer stuff but State Farm told me today they have stopped covering iPads, they consider them uninsurable due to high loss risk. Is worth ave the best solution? I have a 64GB 3G iPad. Thanks, Ralph

14. brentsg macrumors 68040

I don't see any post about anything, just a link to the vendor.

15. coelacanth macrumors 6502

I went with Safeware because of low initial cost and above all, theft coverage. It's $46 a year plus $50 deductible.

I wanted insurance mostly for theft as I live in a metro area where iphones are often snatched from hands on buses and streets. I've seen people getting their laptops yanked from their hands in cafes.

If nothing happens, I just dropped $46. If something happens, I'll get my 3G iPad back. If I decide to keep the iPad after a revision next year (?), I'll get another year of coverage then. (like that's gonna happen!)

16. ralphdaily macrumors regular

Used Safeware for insurance

I went online and got my iPad insurance from Safeware. They seemed reputable and it was easy to sign up. Cost was slightly lower than Worth Ave. - Ralph

17. Cooper1662 macrumors newbie

Sorry dude, I'm not sure how I put the wrong link in there. I was trying to link to my blog. The article I did is old now since prices have changed I think at all companies (SquareTrade, Worth Ave Group, and Safeware).

18. ashVID macrumors regular

Another vote for Worth Ave. here. Have both my iPhone and iPad covered. Most the companies you research will not cover loss or theft, which makes insurance almost pointless.

ash =o)

19. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

20. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

I went online and got my iPad insurance from Safeware. They seemed reputable and it was easy to sign up. Cost was slightly lower than Worth Ave. - Ralph"

Ralph,

You may want to point your rep at Safeware to this thread;) I'm going to use them, thanks for the info. **So you can take advantage of their "Tell a Friend" deal!

My 3g/64 is $67.10
    My wife's WiFi/32 is $48.40

Both a year of coverage...Theft, Accidental, screen cracks, et al. VERY cool! I think the Black Tie at Best Buy was over 500 bucks!!! I told the dude I'd rather buy two units than their insurance...There's decent coverage from Apple for any defects for the first year...and with Solid State, the fail period is easily going to fit in that window. If no issues, you should be fine for years.

I'm going to end up spending a grand today with Safeware. I'm going to buy a rider for my new MacBook Pro, 17" (500 bucks for 3 years!...same type o' coverage too!), and our iPhones. $100 each seems reasonable for the year, especially if Apple does the same thing each year with the contract-un-extension (The need to have each phone for two year subsidy). That's going to cover any issues during the one year wait for the new phone each year (Mac is my Crack...I'm a Chronic Upgrader:))

Thanks again!!! Just goes to show...every once in a while, an educational thread will still rear it's ugly head now and again!!!

J

21. Lorden Johnson macrumors newbie

iPad Insurance : Best way to keep safe iPad device

iPad Insurance is the best way to keep safe your expensive or precious iPad gadget. This insurance is similar like other insurances like car, home etc. It cover all type of dames which you may face with your iPad like accidental damage, stolen by theft, cracked screen and many more. Insurance plan of iPad comes with 1year, 2year, 3 year etc, it depends on the insurance provider companies. So, if you want to keep safe your iPad gadget then this is the best way.

22. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban