ipad international roaming rates

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cfs, Mar 23, 2012.

1. cfs macrumors 6502a

Hi Forum,

I have looked on Verizon and AT&T's websites and can't find an actual rate. Does anyone have any experience with international roaming rates?

I travel a few times a year and I can't get a local SIM where I travel (Japan) because they don't give them out for iPads not bought in Japan. They really have a lockdown on data over there.

Any info. would be helpful.

Thanks.

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Do they sell regular prepaid data SIMs? If so just buy one of those and cut it down. A SIM cutter is around $10 at Amazon. That is what I do when I travel to Europe. Prepaid data microSIMs are tough to find there too.

3. cfs thread starter macrumors 6502a

No. Not if you are a non-resident. I did find some places to rent but I am trying to figure out what is more cost effective.

Thanks.

4. outie2k macrumors regular

Not sure why you can't find them:
    http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/affordable-world-packages.jsp
    http://businessportals.verizonwireless.com/international/GlobalData/rates_coverage.html

5. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Amt of Data | AT&T | Verizon
    50MB | $24.99 | $30.00
    125MB | $49.99 | N/A
    150MB | N/A | $75.00
    275MB | $99.99 | N/A
    300MB | N/A | $125.00
    800MB | $199.99 | N/A

Overages:
    1MB | $19.50 (however it's counted in KB) | $5.12

As you can see AT&T does set data for less than Verizon. Overages on Verizon however are a little more lenient however they count up in MB instead of KB. These plans are for just in case you don't have availability to data on microSIM in the country you are visiting.

If you have a HK resident address, you can get decently cheap international data from 3HK. Monthly cost is about USD$12 and roaming costs HKD$138/USD$17.80 per day for most places around the world or in China/Macau HKD$68/USD$8.71 per day.

6. cfs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Because I couldn't. Thanks for the links though.

----------

This was helpful. Thanks.