Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gerard4636

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2020
I have 'successfully' tethered my ipad to my android phone. I say successfully because I have the horizontal paperclip at top left of my ipad and my android in the bluetooth hotspot connection reports 'sharing internet with 1 device'. However, all browsers - chrome firefox safari report 'no internet connection'. I cannot find anyway to troubleshoot this on either ipad or android. Could someone point me in the direction to resolve this issue.
Thanks
Ger.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I have 'successfully' tethered my ipad to my android phone. I say successfully because I have the horizontal paperclip at top left of my ipad and my android in the bluetooth hotspot connection reports 'sharing internet with 1 device'. However, all browsers - chrome firefox safari report 'no internet connection'. I cannot find anyway to troubleshoot this on either ipad or android. Could someone point me in the direction to resolve this issue.
Thanks
Ger.
How is a paperclip able to partially solve the hotspot issue?

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
How is a paperclip able to partially solve the hotspot issue?

The paperclip he is referring to is an icon indicator of connection to a hotspot.
[automerge]1585828652[/automerge]
Thanks
Ger.

When this is happening, can you go on the phone and see Internet connectivity, i.e. you can open a browser and access web sites?

gerard4636

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2020
Thank you sparksd, I probably didn't make it clear that the paperclip was the icon confirming bluetooth connectivity.
The phone connects to internet ok. All browsers I have tried on the ipad come back with 'no internet connection'. Ipad apps don't connect either. I can't see a way to troubleshoot the problem.
Thanks.

Gamal

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
Thank you sparksd, I probably didn't make it clear that the paperclip was the icon confirming bluetooth connectivity.
The phone connects to internet ok. All browsers I have tried on the ipad come back with 'no internet connection'. Ipad apps don't connect either. I can't see a way to troubleshoot the problem.
Thanks.

Is personal hotspot enabled by your network provider?

Reactions: sparksd

gerard4636

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2020
Yes, I have unlimited tethering and can tether a laptop to the phone but I use a direct usb cable with laptop. I have switched off USB connection to enable bluetooth.

Gamal

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
Yes, I have unlimited tethering and can tether a laptop to the phone but I use a direct usb cable with laptop. I have switched off USB connection to enable bluetooth.

Are you able to test it with another smartphone? Just to rule out the iPad from being the source of the issue.

Have you tried resetting the network settings on your iPad?

gerard4636

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2020
Unfortunately I don't have another smartphone to try connection. I have also reset network settings on ipad.
The sequence:

Phone: enabled bluetooth
Enabled bluetooth tethering

Ipad: turn on bluetooth
shows devices - not connected
tap device - shows Connected
displays icon confirmation

Phone:
in bluetooth tethering says,
'Devices internet connection shared with 1 device'.

Ipad: in Safari reports,
'Safari cannot open page "www.forum.macrumors.com/" because your ipad is not connected to the internet
Similar if I try google.com.

I wondered if the ipad is trying to use an internet connection that I don't have rather than using the tether connection.
Is there a way to confirm or force the ipad to use the bluetooth connection.
Appreciate all your help.
Thanks.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Have you tried to reset network settings on the iPad? And power cycled your android. Sounds like this may be a carrier issue, but try that first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.