iPad into desktop computer?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by 3282868, Jul 22, 2010.

1. 3282868 macrumors 603

I've used my jail broken iPad with BTstack for my MagicMouse and my Bluetooth keyboard works perfectly. However, is there a cable that converts DVI to component to plug into the component/30 pin TV out cable? Such that:

iPad -> component out cable -> DVI -> display

If so, then you could have a mini desktop computer using a DVI display. I just don't know if you can plug the male component cable from the iPad into a female to female component/DVI cable. Make any sense? or am I going about it the wrong way?

2. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

Why not just the iPad VGA adaptor, then using that, get a DVI adaptor.
    I'm not sure if it will mirror displays straight off though, may need a bit more tweaking for that.

3. 3282868 thread starter macrumors 603

Makes sense. Didn't know there was a VGA connector. How does the image look on a DVI display?

4. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure it only outputs 1024x768 resolution. I haven't personally tried it.

5. xraytech macrumors 68020

I think that only works for viewing movies.

6. 3282868 thread starter macrumors 603

Bummer! My Mac Pro just went in for service (logic board replacement, thank god for Applecare), and I was hoping to use my iPad with my cinema display. I got my bluetooth keyboard and mouse working, worse case I'll just use the 9.whatever" screen. :eek:

7. bluedog3401 macrumors regular

The iPad VGA out adapter on a stock iPad with iOS3.2 only supports the video out of the application supports sending the signal. This works in Apples Video app, Photos app. Its pretty limited unless you find the right app to support it, but it works really well.

Since the original poster mentioned using the BTStack, this is only available if you've jailbroken your device and in doing so you also have the option for installing/purchasing an app called "Display Out". It supports sending your Springboard and any app to an external display. In practice it works really well, although on fast games it seems to have 'stitching' or 'tearing' issues with the moving images. Its not horrible, but is distracting and the framerates are really good (unlike the wifi remote display options out there). This installed 'hack' allows for 1280x720 resolution for the springboard, it also takes care of the issue discussed in the paragraph below re: video playback. I think Display Out is $2.99 from within Cydia.

Just a note, the Videos app supports sending the video files, but if you place a 1280x720p video it WILL NOT PLAY AT FULL RESOLUTION out of the VGA adapter. They are dumbing down the resolution to something lower which I haven't checked. It still looks pretty good, but its not ideal. It is ONLY a limitation imposed on the hardware as the iPad plays the file fine at its native resolution (and simply scales it to fit into to built-in screen). The VGA out downscales it and even if your display is capable of 720p it will not send that signal.

From what I've heard, the component adapter may output the 720p signals to a display. I don't have experience with it to confirm, anyone who has tried this would be helpful to post their results. If you have a VGA input on your display it would probably be easier to set up as:

iPad->VGA adapter->Display
    rather than:
    iPad->component->DVI adapter->Display

(although the latter is more flexible for connectivity with DVI and/or component options. If you need one or the other as VGA is becoming less used in displays and hardware).

8. 3282868 thread starter macrumors 603

Awesome! Thanks for your help. I'll check out the Cydia app (I bought the BTStack Keyboard app). So should I get the VGA adapter or get a component to DVI converter?

9. bluedog3401 macrumors regular

Well, it depends on your hardware. If you have more desire to hook up to TVs then I would probably go with the component.

If you wish to connect to monitors AND TVs that may have VGA then I'd get the VGA.

Since I haven't used the component, I can't say what resolutions the Display Out app will support for that but I expect AT LEAST the 1280x720.

Yeah, it is really cool to connect up and see the display on a TV.

10. mixvio macrumors 6502

Yeah DisplayOut works on the iPad although I find it crops the screen, so parts of the UI are cut off. I can't figure out a way to make it not do that.