iPad/iOS 5.1 to come with more stock apps?

GoGa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2012
Ever since the first iPad came out I never understood why apple didnt include some stock apps that were on the iPhone (Weather, Calculator, Clock, Stocks, Voice Memo).

But if the iPad 3 came with Siri I think apple would have to add them (at least a few) because Siri needs them to do a lot of her tasks, and hopefully we will be able to have the notification widgets too!

I really hope they do, because they'd be really usefull. I'd of loved to known apples reasons for not adding them from the start.

Does a anyone else agree?

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
I would like to see the simple clock app but there is little incentive for Apple to add them.

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Well, there were rumours that such Apps were in production at Apple, but Jobs crushed them because he wasn't satisified with how they turned out. Maybe now we're post-Jobs we might get some apps like Clock & Weather etc

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
I hope so, never understood why the ipad was missing these apps. Specially since its grew popular in education etc and still doesn't have a calculater or voice memos. Plus the notes app could do with a massive overhaul on the ipad.

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
I hope so, never understood why the ipad was missing these apps. Specially since its grew popular in education etc and still doesn't have a calculater or voice memos. Plus the notes app could do with a massive overhaul on the ipad.
That's what I've wondered too! Apple in Education, Textbooks etc..
It just doesn't make sense why they don't at least have calculator?!

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I wish Apple made all Apps "optional," like iBooks, or at least let users delete stock apps never used or wanted. Notes is a good example, as I prefer Notional Velocity (Mac)/Simple Note (iOS). Or Camera -- I like Camera + much better. Instead I have a folder on a lone page will all my useless stock apps cluttering up my iPhone and iPad.

Alectric

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2009
I wish Apple made all Apps "optional," like iBooks, or at least let users delete stock apps never used or wanted. Notes is a good example, as I prefer Notional Velocity (Mac)/Simple Note (iOS). Or Camera -- I like Camera + much better. Instead I have a folder on a lone page will all my useless stock apps cluttering up my iPhone and iPad.
You can make them optional. Under settings/general/restrictions you can turn some of the proprietary apps off. Camera, FaceTime, YouTube, Safari, iTunes and Ping.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
I'd like to see a glimpse of iOS 6 at this Keynote, I'm really wanting some nice widgets. Weather, clock, calculator, etc., should all be on the iPad.

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
Ever since the first iPad came out I never understood why apple didnt include some stock apps that were on the iPhone (Weather, Calculator, Clock, Stocks, Voice Memo).
There is really no need for Apple to create and bundle these apps.

There are literally dozens (if not hundreds) of 3rd-party stocks/weather/etc apps in the App Store, many of them are free and are of top quality.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
There is really no need for Apple to create and bundle these apps.

There are literally dozens (if not hundreds) of 3rd-party stocks/weather/etc apps in the App Store, many of them are free and are of top quality.
You can't integrate third party apps as widgets though, and I want a weather and stock widget in Notification Centre.

Merthyrboy

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
As well as a calculator I would like to be able to do calculations in spotlight like you are able to do on the mac.

TheSuperSteve

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2011
Puerto Rico
Not yet, but that has to be coming.. I predict Apple will open up Notification Center widgets API to 3rd-party apps in iOS 6.0.
I'd rather they move widgets to their own area. Like a Dashboard for iOS or something. I don't want widgets to clutter my Notification Center. Notification Center is after all for Notifications.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Not yet, but that has to be coming.. I predict Apple will open up Notification Center widgets API to 3rd-party apps in iOS 6.0.
Or even just a widget store, but I'm hoping so too. The fact that there's two in Notification Center already is a likely sign of it.