iPad iPad for studying

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ShiShCa, May 6, 2012.

1. ShiShCa macrumors newbie

Hi,

I recently got an iPad and I have a question if there is a possibility if I buy keyboard and download appropriate apps for changing that iPad to kinda laptop which may be suitable for studying? It has massive charge and it can last for many hours so I can take it to lectures and also use it on campus whereas others with their low bateries in MacBooks will be in despair. My goal is changing this device for studying so that everything will be in one place I've come through a lot discussions and there is a quite difference among opinions on this topic, even in in this forum.

Does anyone have experience of studying with iPad? Is there a posibility it can replace MacBook/NoteBook for 100%?

Do you have some good experience with keyboards for this device? If so, please share.

Could you please share with me some apps for studying? I have been surfing a lot and i have dowloaded so far evernote and kindle and I dont know which apps are good or not.

summary: iPad → iPad for studying, → = apps, keyboard - which?

Thank you very much for each helpful contribution!

2. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

The iPad is a complementary device to another computer. Although the iPad is very powerful as to what it can do. I would keep a computer for applying the final touches to reports. I use my iPad for taking notes in class and studying but when it comes to writing a full project I use a computer. Word processing software is just more developed on the PC side compared to the tablet side.

I wouldn't recommend a keyboard, it's an extra piece of hardware to carry. If you get a keyboard case, it's extra weight. Might as well get a laptop if you're going to do that.

As for apps it depends on what you are studying but I have found dropbox, goodreader and the iWork suite to be indispensable for my use. evernote and evernote peek should be useful for studying but I haven't really tried them.

Keep your macbook for use at home. The ipad is great for mobile use and studying.

3. ShiShCa thread starter macrumors newbie

So basically You suggest that I should take notes and use some apps on iPad for studying and for more complex assignments and essays use Mac?

4. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

you can take notes with pages. I don't know what you mean by using apps to study. I read the notes that I have taken and that my prof gives out as well as my textbook so I use mostly pages and goodreader to study. DEFINITELY keep your mac for essays and assignments. I can't imagine how you would do a table of content with pages on the iPad.

Since getting my iPad, I have sold my macbook pro. I am waiting for an iMac as I do not need something more powerful then an iPad on the go. While waiting for the iMac refresh, I have been using my dad's macbook pro and the school computers. I wouldn't be able to get thru school with only an iPad.

5. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

cant speak for the person who made that proposition but that sounds like the optimal way to go for me. i use itunes u heavily when studying, use it for note taking and going through textbooks and pdfs, when it comes down to actually whipping out something proffessional like an essay or same such, i resort to my pc. in use the ipad in conjunction with the pc too. a word processor open on the pc, and textbooks / notes open on my ipad.
    the ipad keyboard does me for taking simple notes in class. it doesnt replace my computer, but it certainly makes things a whole lot more convenient.

6. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

I agree with this on all levels but the external keyboard but to each there own. None of my classes are on iTunes U but that is also a great app I would recommend. It's always good to keep learning.

7. ShiShCa thread starter macrumors newbie

So the combo iPad + MacBook would be ideal for studying as I can see..

I am really new to iPad (just got it) so I will try that pages thing and do you have any other suggestion to apps??

8. r-sparks, May 6, 2012
    Last edited: May 6, 2012

r-sparks macrumors 6502

r-sparks

Consider the following:

- How are you going to print? Especially to networked printers at your college? From an iPad network printing is currently impossible.

- There's a nice intro to iPad keyboards here: https://www.macworld.com/article/1164210/macworld_buying_guide_ipad_keyboards.html. The big issue for you is whether you can live with a cramped "folio"-style keyboard, which isn't designed for full-time use -- just occasional use. You're really looking at a standalone keyboard is you're going to be typing thousands of words comfortably. The Targus one is pretty good and crucially has an on/off switch, so the battery lasts for a long time.

- Apps: Is the following any use? https://www.apple.com/education/apps/

Although I'm not a student, I think it's entirely possible for an iPad to be a daytime computer in an educational environment. If you don't mind jumping onto college computers for the occasional task you can't do on an iPad then I think it's possible.

9. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Before spending money on apps make sure that the app you are purchasing does everything you want it too.

Start with dropbox which is free. I heavily depend on dropbox for all my school work because I work with different systems everyday.

I also recommend using AppShopper for finding the best deals on apps. also free.

----------

This is what I do on a daily basis. As for printing, I sync all my work to dropbox or iCloud depending. From there I can log on to any computer and get my work and print it from the campus computers. At home I do the same or I print from my ipad. I have an air print printer.

Using an iPad as your main mobile computer does take some planning but it is great to have such a powerful and light machine.

10. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

What exactly does studying entail to you?

The one thing the ipad has going for it is its form factor. For one, you will find it easier to hold (like a testbook) on a train to read notes from compared to a laptop.

There will also be a lot of prep work involved, in the form of converting your notes to the appropriate format and copying them over to your ipad. For this at least, you will want a basic mac computer.

Can be done, but you have to be prepared to unlearn and relearn a lot of stuff.

11. roccobladr macrumors 6502

If I was going into college now, I think I could get by with an iPad for 90% of school work.

You can load all of your documents/hw/reading assignments on it.

With pages you can type assignments (send to you email as a word document and print it out at another computer or the library to print).

I would probably get a bluetooth keyboard for typing length assignments though.

Also, it has tons of different apps to supplement your studying. (cant imagine how much easier my life would be with those chemistry apps that let you rotate molecules and stuff)

12. saberahul macrumors 68040

I'd suggest PDF Expert or GoodReader for PDF Documents. Professors use a lot of online sites now such as BlackBoard – you can also download these apps from the App Store. I'd also suggest Notability and a stylus for hand written notes.

13. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

icloud synching with pages takes away the need to email documents. As long as you are connected to the internet, all iWork documents created on the iPad will be synced to iCloud. You can then log onto icloud.com from any computer to print your document. Some Apps for the iPad have a clear advantage of traditional technology. The chemistry app mentioned is a great tool for chem students. There is nothing interactive like this on the PC side. The interactive textbooks is another example of technology that is exclusive to the iPad.