iPad, iPhone battery drain iOS 9.2/9.2.1

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by George Waseem, Dec 21, 2015.

?

Do you experience battery drain with iOS 9.2.1 ?

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    32.6%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    34.9%
  3. I'm experiencing battery drain since iOS 9.2

14 vote(s)
    32.6%
  1. George Waseem macrumors regular

George Waseem

I noticed battery drain on my iPad 4 (running 9.2.1) since I upgraded to iOS 9.2, it increased after 9.2.1. Before iOS 9.2 I used to get about 14-15 hours of usage, now I only get 12-13 hours, the iPads battery is still ok but it's just not like before (iOS 9.1). I experienced battery drain on my iPhone 5s (iOS 9.2.1) right after upgrading from 9.2 (I had perfect battery life with iOS 9.2), on iOS 9.2.1, I see some faulting regarding the numbers or some wrong percentages (percentage changes when I put the phone in charger) and even when it's left on standby with wifi off, I see some draining. Does any one experience the battery drain issue?

2. cjbski macrumors member

cjbski

9.2.1 causes REALLY bad battery drain on my iPhone 6S Plus - 64GB Verizon.

It randomly shuts off as well at about mid-battery, and you need to plug back in before it will turn on again.

3. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Pretty decent here on 9.2.1.

Attached Files:

4. Mess macrumors 6502

Mess

On my 6S since moving from 9.1 my battery life has almost halfed.
    On 9.1 i could go two days without a charge even sometimes two and a half days.
    Now though, on 9.2 and .1 I have to charge the phone every day or just over.

Very annoying!

5. Bezares macrumors regular

Hi, how much usage time do you regularly get? I have the same iPhone.

6. Slimmyhendrix macrumors regular

Ever since updating to 9.2 on 2 IP6, the battery display will randomly go from, say 62% to 6%. Then I plug into power and it starts charging and then back to 62%. I also have issues sometimes when I plug my lightning cable in, it doesn't charge. Sometimes have to plug and unplug or even unlock the home screen for it to recognize and start charging. This has happened with both my IP6.

7. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Definitely noticing increased battery drain since 9.2.1 public beta. 9.2 fresh install was great. Since moving to the public beta, it's a nightmare. But it's to be expected with beta software so I'm not upset or surprised.

iPhone 6s Plus 128GB on AT&T.

8. majdad49 macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Jan 23, 2016 ---
    I just updated last night. Today my iPhone 6Plus dropped to 8% and the phone was on my belt all afternoon. This has never happened. There is something definitely wrong with 9.2.1.

9. StructAural macrumors regular

Battery is draining on stand-by quite remarkably with a 5s since the 9.2.1 update. Usage doesn't show why. I'm down to 70% in 4 hours and I haven't used the phone. So something is wrong in the system.

10. mofoliar macrumors regular

mofoliar

I also, experienced on 9.2.1 on 6S 64G Batt. SUCKS! No better than 9.3 B2... IMO

11. trickbox macrumors newbie

Definitely experiencing battery drain since updating to 9.2. Took my two year old 5s into the Apple Store and they replaced it, with a brand new 5s in December 2015, now three months later the new phone is showing the same symptoms. They said originally it was a problem with the antenna, although why it only started with 9.2 they could not say. I took the new phone in to another Apple Store, and all they suggested was that I change cell providers (not going to happen) or reset the phone. I reset it to factory defaults and slowly started adding apps. All seemed fine but then suddenly a full battery charge would last 6 hours. The battery usage is worse than useless in settings, if the phone has been in standby for 3 hours it shows that 1.5 hours is usage, when it is just sitting on my desk not being used. I reset the phone again, but with the same battery drain. Something is going on in the background and the phone is not reporting what it is.

Is it worth me attempting to install 9.3b5?

12. NoBoMac, Mar 4, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2016

NoBoMac macrumors 6502a

I've been getting random swings on the battery meter (iPhone 6, 9.2.1) of late, as others described, several 10s percent drops in a matter of minutes with no usage. Other days, everything seems normal.

An Apple suggestion to do a hard power-down (pressing power button and home at same time) seemed to fix things, for now. The help note is related to 6s phones, but judging from comments left on tech news sites, any device on 9.2 seem to be susceptible.

ADD: spoke too soon. Phone was showing 48%, plugged into a charger (stock Apple Lightning cable in USB port on Apple keyboard), phone immediately cratered to 12%. Ugh!

13. Sparky2012 macrumors 6502

Sparky2012

I'm getting the issue as well on a 6s on iOS 9.2.1. It's especially noticeable once I hit low battery around 20% where the battery percentage just seems to jump with hardly any use to 14% then to like 6%. Note once I hit 20% I usually enable Low Power Mode.

14. Slimmyhendrix macrumors regular

9.2.1 I still have the issue with my battery display where it will show 56% then drop to 7% in a second. Today it happened again. I was at 62% and went to take 2 pictures and a 10 second video. While taking the video it had the low battery popup and then went to 7% battery. I plugged in the phone to charge and it charged about 5-10min and the battery went back to 65%.
    Not sure what's going on here.

Edit: forgot ip6 (not s) never had this issue until 9.0